Pickaroon Help - Which size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
After a season of bending down to pick up logs to move and split etc I've decided to get a pickaroon. I'm looking at these:

The question is do I want the 15" or 31"? I'm taller at 6'2" and I get all my wood delivered in log form so my gut tells me the 31" is the way to go...less bending and more help moving bigger logs. I'm more concerned about functionality than fatigue with a bigger tool so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any experience.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm 6'7" and got the 48" Logrite. I use it to move rounds or logs around, occasionally to pick up something. If I'm moving rounds to load, stack, or split I'll use log tongs. I can pick up a dry 20" diameter in each hand or use both on a single round if it's heavy.

I'm 6'3" and I bought the 31" Logrite from Amazon. It works great and I've picked up some pretty large logs and well as many splits with ease. Also, if you don't already have a peavy, I'd recommend that too. It's saved a lot of tough timber cutting/moving jobs as well as helped to keep my saw out of the dirt.

The one I have is about 36". Enough to keep me out of harms way and can be grabbed it in the middle to use that way.

I have 2 ...a 48 and and a 18 I think it is...I use the shorter one alot around the splitter and the long one to help unload the truck and trailer...woulnt be with out them.

Attachments

• IMG_3285.JPG
    IMG_3285.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 228
==c
I'm 6'3" and I bought the 31" Logrite from Amazon. It works great and I've picked up some pretty large logs and well as many splits with ease. Also, if you don't already have a peavy, I'd recommend that too. It's saved a lot of tough timber cutting/moving jobs as well as helped to keep my saw out of the dirt.

Yeah I am likely going to get a 48" cant hook with a log stand as my next logging tool purchase for the same reasons. I get most of my wood dropped off in the form of 12-15' logs in 2-3 cord batches in my driveway so the spike on the end of the peavy will just get in the way or damage the driveway. The cant hook has a flat edge leading edge.

Im going to order the 31" pickaroon tonight. It seems we all agree it's better and that was my initial thought too. I'd like to get both but I don't think the wife is keen on me buying 3 more new tools at once since I just bought a new angle grinder. Maybe the small one for my bday. :)

==c

Yeah I am likely going to get a 48" cant hook with a log stand as my next logging tool purchase for the same reasons. I get most of my wood dropped off in the form of 12-15' logs in 2-3 cord batches in my driveway so the spike on the end of the peavy will just get in the way or damage the driveway. The cant hook has a flat edge leading edge.

Im going to order the 31" pickaroon tonight. It seems we all agree it's better and that was my initial thought too. I'd like to get both but I don't think the wife is keen on me buying 3 more new tools at once since I just bought a new angle grinder. Maybe the small one for my bday. :)
Yup'm, they ain't cheap but they'll save you work and wear and tear on your body. I felt bad about the price too, but when we used it, my wife and I, we resolved that it was an excellent purchase.

Instead of making a new thread I'm hijacking this one. My Stihl hookaroon handle just broke. Not really interested in rehafting it right now, I'd rather just get a second hookaroon. Any suggestions?

Garret Wade ended up having backorder issues so I ended up getting the 30" LogRite and it's already one of my favorite tools:

logrite-HR024__59413.1495554241.1280.1280.jpg

They also have a 36" but its on backorder as of a couple weeks ago. I find the 30" is plenty long enough for me though and I'm 6'2. If I were 6'4+ I'd probably want the 36".

Pros:

- Well build, all metal. It'll withstand harsh conditions and the hook is solid stainless welded onto another piece of stainless, it's not gonna break.
- Very light weight and versatile. You can drag with it or grab it close to the pick to lift big rounds. I've used it like a cant hook too to move logs around.
- Small business run out of CT. I like supporting them. Got it in 2 days. Great customer service, got a person right away when I called to change my order.

Cons:

- The handle is round which is odd at first. You don't get the immediate orientation of the tip like with a wood axe handle but you get used to that and can feel it's orientation via the balance of the tool.
- It's also a little bit of a girthy handle with the foam no slip grip. I have big hands do I don't mind but if you have small hands it may be a little weird.
- It's expensive. With shipping I think I paid $70 versus the $45 for more budget options. I'm a big believer in tool quality though and you get what you pay for. This is a high quality tool.

I tried a King's County from Amazon that was $35 as an experiment but it lasted 2 weeks before the cast tip broke off. It worked while it was in tact but yeah. Not worth it...always buy quality.

Garret Wade ended up having backorder issues so I ended up getting the 30" LogRite and it's already one of my favorite tools:

View attachment 274275

They also have a 36" but its on backorder as of a couple weeks ago. I find the 30" is plenty long enough for me though and I'm 6'2. If I were 6'4+ I'd probably want the 36".

Pros:

- Well build, all metal. It'll withstand harsh conditions and the hook is solid stainless welded onto another piece of stainless, it's not gonna break.
- Very light weight and versatile. You can drag with it or grab it close to the pick to lift big rounds. Ive lifted up 20" x 17" green red maple rounds with relative ease. I've alsl sed it like a cant hook to move logs around.
- Small business run out of CT. I like supporting them. Got it in 2 days.

Cons:

- The handle is round which is odd at first. You don't get the immediate orientation of the tip like with a wood axe handle but you get used to that and can feel it's orientation via the balance of the tool.
- It's also a little bit of a girthy handle with the foam no slip grip. I have big hands do I don't mind but if you have small hands it may be a little weird.
- It's expensive. With shipping I think I paid $70 versus the $45 for more budget options. I'm a big believer in tool quality though and you get what you pay for. This is a high quality tool.

I tried a King's County from Amazon that was $35 as an experiment but it lasted 2 weeks before the cast tip broke off. It worked while it was in tact but yeah. Not worth it...always buy quality.

Is it heavy being all steel? I liked that the Ash handle on my Stihl hookaroon was very light and not tiring to use. I don't like how it split apart this morning, so maybe all metal is worth it.

Is the tip curved towards the handle end?

I'll go out to the shed and take a few pictures of it up close for you when I let the dog out in a bit.

It's not all steel, my bad on the description. The tip is two pieces of steel welded together then attached to the handle via pins. The handle is very lightweight, I'd guess aluminum. It's lighter and much stronger than any of the wooden handle models I've tried.

I agree that a wooden handle just feels nice in your hand but I got over that really quickly after using this for a few cords.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Pics as promised. Also a pic next to my 36" maul for size reference. I wear XL gloves for handle size reference. You'll notice it doesn't have a pronounced hook to the tip at all really but I assure you it grips very well. Like I said I was picking up 20" diameter oak rounds no problem. It really bites into the wood but still comes out easily when done.

20210211_133455.jpg
20210211_133428.jpg
20210211_133403.jpg
20210211_133414.jpg

Gordon helped:

20210211_133540.jpg

Same price at BaileysOnline, still backordered but only a couple of days. 10% off first order, but $10 shipping. From what I read years ago, Logrite made the Stihl. My tip is different - no weld.

I ordered directly from LogRite. I'd just call to make sure it's not backordered, their customer service was very nice. They are in CT so I got mine very vast with ground shipping since I'm so close.

@John Galt- The weld is a change on the newer models. I think they slimmed down the tip for better penetration while maintaining the more robust piece attached to the handle.

I ordered a 30" Logrite. Made in America for less than $50 is a great deal! I hope the handle feels nice in my hand. The Fiskars hookaroon looks like it has a nice handle if I don't like the logrite.

I ordered a 30" Logrite. Made in America for less than $50 is a great deal! I hope the handle feels nice in my hand. The Fiskars hookaroon looks like it has a nice handle if I don't like the logrite.

Awesome, you won't regret it. The handle will feel weird at first but give it a chance and you'll get used to it. It's a quality product.

I weighed the Fiskars vs the LogRite for a while actually when deciding what to get. I have a ton of Fiskars stuff so it made sense to look at. You're right that the handle is very comfortable, it's the same one that's on the hatchet and splitting axe. The main issues I had with it were A) was only 28" I think and those 2" really matter when dragging and B) it looks extremely lightweight. Like so light it's actually bad and might be hard to get into dense hardwood without really slamming it. And then C) the tip looks very thin, like it may want to dig in so much on softer woods it's a pain to get out or even worse, break. I know it has very good reviews but some of those concerns were mentioned even in the good reviews.

Also the Fiskars was unavailable at the time so that made it easy ;lol but I would have gotten the LogRite anyways.

Make sure to tell us what you think when it arrives!

I have a home made 18" with a hatchet handle on it. Making was one of the best ideas I've had for wood processing. Git yourself a small one too and you'll be glad you have it. I'm 6'4" and it only requires a little bending over but being able to pick things up with one had is super convenient.

I have a home made 18" with a hatchet handle on it. Making was one of the best ideas I've had for wood processing. Git yourself a small one too and you'll be glad you have it. I'm 6'4" and it only requires a little bending over but being able to pick things up with one had is super convenient.
I was thinking about using my Stihl hookaroon for this very purpose since the handle is broken.

The logrite got here a week or so ago and I do like it. Very light and great penetration, more than I expected!

I was thinking about using my Stihl hookaroon for this very purpose since the handle is broken.

The logrite got here a week or so ago and I do like it. Very light and great penetration, more than I expected!

Excellent! Glad you like it. Its high quality and quickly become one of my favorite tools I own.

This post got me interested in a pickeroon. Ended up getting a Husqvarna "sappie"(what they call a pickeroon I guess). Used it twice so far, don't know why I didn't get one sooner!

100% of people who use one for the first time have this reaction :).

I got one too - but have to wait a few weeks for my birthday (or so my wife tells me). And now I have a bunch of cherry rounds in the driveway...

I got one too - but have to wait a few weeks for my birthday (or so my wife tells me). And now I have a bunch of cherry rounds in the driveway...

Why do our wives do this?!?!

My wife does this same thing. I have to "wait for my birthday or xmas" to use something we already own that would be perfect for the job I'm actively doing. I've learned not to argue (seasoned veteran husband lol) but man does it drive me nuts! :mad:

Why do our wives do this?!?!

After 21 years, I have learned to not ask (myself) that question - for (my) sanity's sake...
!!! :p