picked up a log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

perry

Burning Hunk
Feb 14, 2008
auburn hills, michigan
Wife found a log splitter on the school garage sale web page. people were moving and only asking $100 . said everthing worked last year but needs carb work.
this thing is a monster. 6ft wide and 10ft long. the ram is huge on it. guy said it would split anything.
been after a splitter for a long time and could not pass this one up for the price.

what do you think of the chain drive ?. should i convert to a belt ?. going to build a cover over it for sure.
00001abc003.jpg

00001abc001.jpg

00001abc005.jpg

00001abc004.jpg

00001abc002.jpg

00001abc006.jpg

Wow. !!! What a price. For someone handy like you perry you may have a great splitter there. :eek: Dat a big un. Good luck and let us know how you make out. I don't see any need in changing that chain drive. But you will see shortly how good it works.

Reactions: ScotO
SCORE!

what do you think of the chain drive ?. should i convert to a belt ?.​

Yes, ASAP. Wonder why it's geared down? (Pump sprocket is bigger than the engine sprocket.) Might be worth tracking down the specs on the pump and seeing if it can go 1:1 with the engine.

Looks like they used some standard plumbing fittings for the hydraulics too. Might want to see about losing those along with checking the condition of the hoses.

And I'd replace the wheels/tires with standard trailer tires.

Looks to be a beast indeed. Tough old Briggs on there!

Congrats!
That thing is a beast!

Must have been an interesting ride home with those tires!!

That tire is fine - it's only flat on one side :)

Awesome score!! If your wife finds another PM me LOL. Honestly you got a great deal and a few tweeks should provide and awesome tool. I will 2nd your choice to cover that chain for sure. Like everything in wood work - splitters are not real forgiving on flesh!!

Reactions: f3cbboy
Must have been an interesting ride home with those tires!!

thankfully my buddy is manager at a wrecker service and picked it up with a flat bed for me :cool: .

Yea great score! One other thing to consider is that black spot on the cylender. It looks like the engine exhaust is spuing on it and since the hydro fluid is already going to be hot, adding more heat to the mix may wear out the inner seals more quickly. That cylender is not the type you can easily break apart and replace them. A new one will cost about $250 if memory serves. Just a thought.

Reactions: ScotO and BobUrban
Good eye HT - adding a simple heat shield is not a bad idea!!

yes the muffler is going to be dealt with. if this engine gives me fits i have a nice running old cast iron 10hp briggs sitting on the shelf with electric start.

Good eye HT - adding a simple heat shield is not a bad idea!!

Good idea. On my Honda engines, I've noticed that the exhaust exit direction can be changed by unbolting the deflector and changing the possition. But like you said, if you just mount your own, it may be easier than trying to unbolt a bunch of rusty old screws which could snap off when you try it.

Btw, it would be a good idea to deflect the exhaust away from both the wood staging area (avoid breathing fumes) and the hoses, which could melt.

Nice score Perry.
On the chain drive...that is going to be a single speed pump and therefore a pretty low volume pump. I am guessing that you will find the ram to be slow. If it suits you, then you are off to the races. If you find it too slow for your liking, a change over to a two stage pump would be easy. Run it and see what you think.
(for the record - I am not aware of ANY two stage pump that is designed for belt or chain drive, they simply don't have the bearings to take the side pressure).

No matter how you cut it, you got a darn good deal. Even if you find that you want to change it around, you are money ahead already. (detente valve?? Faster pump??)

the guy said it was slow but powerfull. I may switch to a 2-stage and lovejoy in the future. have not had time to look at the splitter yet. still sitting where i dropped it :(

Yeah, the downside to a single stage is that it won't be very big if an 8hp (or similar) engine can pull it...or the relief is set very low.

update, got the briggs engine running . the cylinder started moving out real slow when the engine started. the lever does not seem to do anything. the cylinder ran all the way out real slow on its own. the hydro fluid looks awfull and the front seal leaks. so i pulled the lines and tank and drained the fluid out. that is as far as i got for now. when i get time ill put new fluid and filter on and hope it works. still will need to address the front seal.
but for only paying $100 I was not expecting it to be perfect. im still ahead with a good running 11hp briggs engine.

with the one flat shredded tire had to figure out a way to get this thing to roll by hand. it has old hubs with a 5 1/4" pattern and lug bolts. a 15" rim on one side and 16" on the other.
so i dug around the yard and found had a old 15" chevy rim and tire . drilled 3 holes in the rim to fit the hub on splitter. the hubs have a big center so slid rim on as far as it would go and used spacers to fill the gap between rim and hub. then just used nuts/bolts to hold rim on. no more flat tire and i can push it around now.

splitter005_zps9fbf0c76.jpg

splitter007_zpsa0340d25.jpg

splitter009_zpsce65acd8.jpg

splitter010_zps3ca82dab.jpg

Beautiful old beast. Love your jury-riging on the old wheel too, that's using your noodle! I'd personally leave the big tires on it versus smaller trailer ones, but I'm 6'3" and like stuff up a little higher myself.

looks like you got more than your money's worth. That looks like a pretty big ram, like from a back hoe, how long is the stroke?

looks great! Can't wait to see pictures of it breaking up the first piece of wood.

==c

Looking good Perry. If the ram was moving, either the control valve was not centered or you are getting leak by. Depending on the spool valve, most aren't too hard to fix back up, unless there is excessive wear or rust/pitting. Even at that...Fleebay will get you a new detente spool valve for about 70 bean pods.

log splitter is working. still have a few issues to work out.

Wow that ram extends in a hurry. _g But why is it so much slower to return? I would expect it to move just as fast if not faster.

Sounds like that old Briggs is running sweet too.

Status
Not open for further replies.