Picked up a Lopi Freedom today, have questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bob95065

Burning Hunk
Aug 13, 2013
Felton, CA
I picked up a Craigslist score this morning. I got a rough Lopi Freedom along with a rigid chimney liner and cap for FREE.

The flue wasn't sealed well and leaked. The stove has rust and most of the firebricks are missing. The bypass on top isn't connected to anything so I am assuming there is a part missing there. The cord is cut and the fan speed control is missing. Other than that it's great and did I mention it was FREE?

Anyway, do any Lopi Freedom owners mind measuring the cut bricks in their stove? I want to restore this stove and install it in our family room in the back of the house. We have a long, narrow house with the living room in the front and a family rom in the back. There is a fire place in the family room wth no stove. It gets cold in there because it is so far from the stove in the front of the house. I am going to put this insert in the fireplace do we can use the room in the winter.

I have an Avalon Rainer in the front of the house. It gets it nice and warm in here. I'm looking forward to getting the Lopi fixed and installed.

Thanks,

Bob

Congratulations. Take some progress pics as it comes back to life.

For the firebrick I'd make cardboard templates based on the firebrick layout diagram for the insert.

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 8.17.29 PM.png

Thanks for the post and picture. I just went out in the garage to look at it. This one is pretty beat. The brick on the floor looks like it's all missing. The brick around the walls are there but every last one is cracked. There are bricks on top and the baffle supports are there. The rear one looks warped from heat. The bypass is completely missing.

I wonder how much a bypass will cost me from Travis Industries? If it was s too much I'll try to make my own.

I'll try to get some pictures of it early tomorrow. This is going to be a fun project.

I'm starting to wonder if this stove will be too much for our family room. Our Avalon Rainier heats up the front of the house. I think it would be too much back there and this Lopi is even bigger. Then again FREE is free

Fortunately firebrick is reasonably priced. What part of the bypass is missing the bypass plate or the control arm or both?

The bypass plate also supports the rear baffle bricks, are you sure it's missing? The bypass plate just sits loose in the assembly and a forked rod slides it back and forth. It's possible the fork came out of the plate, it might be on top of the firebricks.

Pay close attention to how the parts were removed, it can be kinda tricky to get everything in the correct possistion and get the bypass to slide freely.

For that blower I'd just replace the cord, and put a plug in style rheostat on the wall outlet.