Picked up a Makita from Home depo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ApproximateLEE said:
thinkxingu said:
I don't get the whole 'tough-guy-I'll-carry-more-weight-for-nothing-and-criticize-other-smarter-people-for-saving-their-backs-and-energy-thereby-making-cutting-safer' thing. Sure, my dad worked three jobs most of his life, but he did it to get me through college so's I wouldn't have to work three jobs my whole life! Of course, he's got two messed-up shoulders, a real bad hernia, junk wrists, tweaked back, one bad knee, and a whole lot of scars. I work 7 hours/day walking back and forth in my classroom inspiring my students to not do what my father HAD to.

S

Really! 2lbs??
I crap 2 lbs!
If carrying weight around all day was such a big concern people wood cut minus 5-10lb of clothing/shoes/safety/gear.

I'm starting to think the guys in the pellet room have more sack than some here in the wood room. Don't ever hear them complain about 40 lb bags.

2lbs ain't squat buy the saw you want!

Edit:
Holy schnikey's Lig we brain farted at the same time!

+1

Just as a reference take a look at the list of saws from small to big momma the folks here on the list use. I guess the engineers at Stihl are fools making so many different sizes and weights of saws when one would do? Sound silly.
Watch an experienced pro cut and let know when you see a climber or guy way up in a bucket using a 65cc saw. Why use a 15lb saw to cut small limbs off a tree when a 11lb saw will do the job and save a little time while reducing wear and tear on the user thus helping to prevent injury because statistics show the more tired a person becomes the higher the rate of injury.
Think 2lbs don't matter ? Ever dove ? Try adding or taking out 2lbs from your weight belt and then tell me how 2lbs don't matter when you can't go down or worse yet can't get back up.

Tony H said:
Just as a reference take a look at the list of saws from small to big momma the folks here on the list use. I guess the engineers at Stihl are fools making so many different sizes and weights of saws when one would do? Sound silly.
Watch an experienced pro cut and let know when you see a climber or guy way up in a bucket using a 65cc saw. Why use a 15lb saw to cut small limbs off a tree when a 11lb saw will do the job and save a little time while reducing wear and tear on the user thus helping to prevent injury because statistics show the more tired a person becomes the higher the rate of injury.
Think 2lbs don't matter ? Ever dove ? Try adding or taking out 2lbs from your weight belt and then tell me how 2lbs don't matter when you can't go down or worse yet can't get back up.

lol coming from a guy who bought a 6400 that is very heavy in its class yep about 2 lbs heavy but what the heck its a strong saw huh?

thinkxingu said:
LLigetfa,
I'm 5'7, 260 pounds...

The reality is, weight DOES matter--
Instead of bellyaching about two pounds on a saw, you could lose two pounds of body mass off your arms to counter the weight of the saw and have more HP to work smarter.

BTW, I'm 6'2" and 200 pounds now, 20 pounds heavier than when I worked pipeline.

Let's see.
Theres a kickazz sandwich shop just out of town where I pick up lunch before heading to the woods. There specialty is a 2lb KING COMBO. Guess what I eat for lunch most days and I take a 2 gallon jug of water ( only polish it off on hot days) every day that ends up in my gullet. 066 MAG, 6 wedges( most of the time only 2 in pockets), 2 files , scrench, axe, 1 gallon of gas , 1 gallon of oil, hard hat, caulks, chaps, etc. AND sometimes I help the skidder operator pull 300 lbs of cable, settin chokers!

The sandwich and water alone are 16lbs. While I go take a leak you can do the math on all the other chit I carry throughout the day.

You could pile on another 20 lbs it don't matter. I'm not a macho man or Hulk Hogan or bragin'. I just get the job done. Am I tired at the end of the day ? YES! But would 2 more pounds make a difference? Hell NO! PFFFTTTTTT!!!!!!!

Whatever saw you want to buy,,, don't worry about the phaqin' weight just buy it already !!!!! It's not like weekend wood jockeys are under the gun to cut 10 cord of wood a day. If you get tired take a break or hang it up till tomorrow.
I'll NEVER recomend that the 046 MAG is THE best all around saw for everyone. Buy what fits or feels right. Most reputable saw shops have some logs out back to cut on. Don't be afraid to ask the shop owner if you can give it a whirl out back on his log. They are usuaLEE more than happy to do so and show you the proper starting technique and safety features of the saw.
One thing that I do highLEE recomend is the pro series. Buy one and maintain it and you'll never need another saw ever again.
OH and one more thing learn how to sharpen from a pro so eye dohn't see you hacksawin on a pile of logs wastin valuable energy that could have been used carrying a saw weighing 2 more lbs!

Scroll down to daily specials.
http://www.teresasdeli.com/menu.htm

Tony H said:
WTF???

You are on the wrong forum. This is a firewood bucking forum, not ArboristSite and WTF does diving have to do with a 65cc saw?

We're not talking about two pounds of dead weight. We're talking about two pounds of machine cranking out more HP. Instead of taking off two pounds from your dive belt, cut two pounds off of your swim fins.

LLigetfa said:
Tony H said:
WTF???

You are on the wrong forum. This is a firewood bucking forum, not ArboristSite and WTF does diving have to do with a 65cc saw?

We're not talking about two pounds of dead weight. We're talking about two pounds of machine cranking out more HP. Instead of taking off two pounds from your dive belt, cut two pounds off of your swim fins.

Me thinx he may have seen Ax Men where the dude from LA majixLEE cuts logs under water.

Eye wunder how much wet underwears weigh?

Woodn't 2 lbs under water only weigh MayB 1 lb?

If I were cutting under water and saw an alligator and sheet my drawrs wood I weigh 2 lbs more or 2 lbs less?

ApproximateLEE said:
LLigetfa said:
Tony H said:
WTF???

Me thinx he may have seen Ax Men where the dude from LA majixLEE cuts logs under water.

Eye wunder how much wet underwears weigh?

Woodn't 2 lbs under water only weigh MayB 1 lb?

If I were cutting under water and saw an alligator and sheet my drawrs wood I weigh 2 lbs more or 2 lbs less?

lmao.................

I don't hear this often and maybe I'm off base but I like a bigger saw cause I think it is safer. Why, well if you are using a bigger saw you have to hang on to it and get square with what you are cutting. You can't reach out there and stretch and be off balance. I've seen people use those little saws one handed even. I can let the wt. of the saw do the cutting but I have to hang tight. I've never had mine kick back and kick on the brake. I have been stupid and cut a branch under tension and get set back about 2ft but I still had the saw in both hands pointed at the tree. Hate to think what would have happened if I was one handed it.
leaddog

Tony H said:
Who ever said the extra 2lb wouldn't matter because they were young and strong should give it a try use the 250 then switch to the DSC6401 it's a very big difference .
While I would have liked to get another Stihl I think the Makita will fit the bill just fine and at a lot lower cost.

Just to review from my original post this is MY opinion it certainly does not have to be yours and just because you do not agree changes nothing , remember it's an opinion based upon MY situation. My opinion is not wrong nor is Yours just different because we are looking at it from a different viewpoint.

Your point is valid based upon your situation and certainly those that handle saws every day will have a different outlook than a firewood for the home cutter. It makes perfect sense to have a different perspectives and different tools based on the needs of the person and because this is an open forum with persons in all types of different interests in wood cutting we need to make room for opinions other than our own.

While you make fun of my purchase of the Makita it was the best available saw for the limited funds available to me. Should I not make fun of buying a huge powerful saw and modifying it at addition cost ? No because I understand that is useful and worth it to you However if I did the same it would be wasteful and stupid because it's not worth it for my situation.

AmazinLEE for someone that writes the way you do even if it's just joking comparing ME to the swamp logger is simply comical. If you call what he does diving you are sadly mistaken. BTW if you think calling your lunch a 2 pounder makes it so you are also sadly mistaken.

Tony H said:
Tony H said:
Who ever said the extra 2lb wouldn't matter because they were young and strong should give it a try use the 250 then switch to the DSC6401 it's a very big difference .
While I would have liked to get another Stihl I think the Makita will fit the bill just fine and at a lot lower cost.

Just to review from my original post this is MY opinion it certainly does not have to be yours and just because you do not agree changes nothing , remember it's an opinion based upon MY situation. My opinion is not wrong nor is Yours just different because we are looking at it from a different viewpoint.

Your point is valid based upon your situation and certainly those that handle saws every day will have a different outlook than a firewood for the home cutter. It makes perfect sense to have a different perspectives and different tools based on the needs of the person and because this is an open forum with persons in all types of different interests in wood cutting we need to make room for opinions other than our own.

While you make fun of my purchase of the Makita it was the best available saw for the limited funds available to me. Should I not make fun of buying a huge powerful saw and modifying it at addition cost ? No because I understand that is useful and worth it to you However if I did the same it would be wasteful and stupid because it's not worth it for my situation.

AmazinLEE for someone that writes the way you do even if it's just joking comparing ME to the swamp logger is simply comical. If you call what he does diving you are sadly mistaken. BTW if you think calling your lunch a 2 pounder makes it so you are also sadly mistaken.

no problem about what saw you use its all been about 2lbs the 6400 nice saw but if you hold true to 2lbs being that big of a deal you have the wrong saw in your own worlds not anyone elses.....we just simpley could give a rats @ss about 2lbs...thats all....

Tony H said:
Tony H said:

Eye dohn't call it that . Teresa does.
Scroll down to daiLEE specials.

ApproximateLEE said:
Tony H said:
Tony H said:

Eye dohn't call it that . Teresa does.
Scroll down to daiLEE specials.

sounds like my kinda place 2 pounder SWEEEET!

My doctor doesn't think much of 2lbs either but that's just his opinion.

For dollars over lb's I would prefer to have a Stihl but even newer used ones are
quite pricey.

I don't think Doc would think too much of the Friday special either

18" - 2 pound King Combo, 6 pepperoni balls and a 6-pack of pop

:coolsmirk:

smokinjay said:
Tony H said:

lol coming from a guy who bought a 6400 that is very heavy in its class yep about 2 lbs heavy but what the heck its a strong saw huh?

Upon checking the facts published by Makita and Stihl it appears that they do not agree, unless .6 lbs is "very" heavy.
I would dare say comparable saws

6401 64cc 4.7 hp 13.6lb

290 56.5 3.8 13.0

362 59 4.6 13.7 regular handle 13.0 cutdown handle

391 64 4.4 14.1

Huh is the 6401 in a higher class say like a 440 ?

440 70.7 5.5 15.2 reg handle 14.6 cutdown handle

It does not seem so.

I bought a like new Makita DCS6401-20 chainsaw…how does it compare?
Subscribe to this thread

burntime
Posted: 21 March 2010 02:30 PM
[ Report ] [ Ignore ]

Pyro Extraordinaire

C'mon hunting season!

Total Posts: 1941

Joined 2006-08-18
I come in from changing the oil in my tractor and a new posting for the chainsaw on Craigslist. I call and he said he just put it on. Turns out he is 10 minutes away. Says saw will not start. He cut 2 trees down with it and now nothing. Checked and there is mix in it. I hand him 50 bucks and smile. I get home and the compression release was stuck in with sawdust. It runs perfect! Now I know for $50 with a scabbord and new sharpening file is cheap…but how does it compare to a stihl ms361/ms362. That is the saw I keep saying I am going to buy. It actually is more hp, but any real world comparisons? The Makita hums at 13500rpm. What does the ms360 series or the ms290 series run at? I added a pic.

Image Attachments

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Signature

A Pair of 029 Super Farm Bosseses, is that enough s’s?
A Makita DCS6401-20 Chainsaw
Spee Co. 22 Ton Splitter
Chopper 1 Axe
A Pair of Simplicity Sovereign Tractors, Ford Ranger and Trailer
A Wife, 2 Kids, 1 Black Lab, a cat, and a new kitten…
One tired S.O.B.
Oh yeah, a Hampton HI300 insert!

PM

smokinjay
Posted: 21 March 2010 02:41 PM
[ Report ] [ Ignore ] [ # 1 ]

Inferno

Anderson, Indiana

Total Posts: 4540

Joined 2008-08-11
It compares very well nice saw!

Signature

Ms460/361 (16,20,28 in bars)
oregon 511A/CYCLONE WHEEL
mac 3216 mint for sale….

Tony, it's a fine saw. And I agree that 2 pounds, or 20%, is more weight to carry when it's unnecessary. Let these knuckledraggers keep huffing their gear :) !!! Enjoy!

S

Thanks S
BTW after looking up the specs the 250 weighs 10.1 and the Makita 13.6 so the difference is 3.5 plus the difference of the bar and chain.

thinkxingu said:
Tony, it's a fine saw. And I agree that 2 pounds, or 20%, is more weight to carry when it's unnecessary. Let these knuckledraggers keep huffing their gear :) !!! Enjoy!

S

no one has said anything other that 2 lbs either way is not an issue for the right saw

Tony H said:
smokinjay said:
Tony H said:

Upon checking the facts published by Makita and Stihl it appears that they do not agree, unless .6 lbs is "very" heavy.
I would dare say comparable saws

6401 64cc 4.7 hp 13.6lb

post 26#

Think 2lbs don’t matter ? Ever dove ? Try adding or taking out 2lbs from your weight belt and then tell me how 2lbs don’t matter when you can’t go down or worse yet can’t get back up.

290 56.5 3.8 13.0

362 59 4.6 13.7 regular handle 13.0 cutdown handle

391 64 4.4 14.1

It does not seem so.

I bought a like new Makita DCS6401-20 chainsaw…how does it compare?
Subscribe to this thread

burntime
Posted: 21 March 2010 02:30 PM
[ Report ] [ Ignore ]

Pyro Extraordinaire

C'mon hunting season!

Total Posts: 1941

Joined 2006-08-18
I come in from changing the oil in my tractor and a new posting for the chainsaw on Craigslist. I call and he said he just put it on. Turns out he is 10 minutes away. Says saw will not start. He cut 2 trees down with it and now nothing. Checked and there is mix in it. I hand him 50 bucks and smile. I get home and the compression release was stuck in with sawdust. It runs perfect! Now I know for $50 with a scabbord and new sharpening file is cheap…but how does it compare to a stihl ms361/ms362. That is the saw I keep saying I am going to buy. It actually is more hp, but any real world comparisons? The Makita hums at 13500rpm. What does the ms360 series or the ms290 series run at? I added a pic.

Image Attachments

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Signature

A Pair of 029 Super Farm Bosseses, is that enough s’s?
A Makita DCS6401-20 Chainsaw
Spee Co. 22 Ton Splitter
Chopper 1 Axe
A Pair of Simplicity Sovereign Tractors, Ford Ranger and Trailer
A Wife, 2 Kids, 1 Black Lab, a cat, and a new kitten…
One tired S.O.B.
Oh yeah, a Hampton HI300 insert!

PM

smokinjay
Posted: 21 March 2010 02:41 PM
[ Report ] [ Ignore ] [ # 1 ]

Inferno

Anderson, Indiana

Total Posts: 4540

Joined 2008-08-11
It compares very well nice saw!

Signature

Ms460/361 (16,20,28 in bars)
oregon 511A/CYCLONE WHEEL
mac 3216 mint for sale….

I still could careless about 2lbs...............................................................

no its not in 440 class and the 362 is a new stato saw your saw would be best compared to the 361 again if the saw works for you 2lbs isnt an issue................the 361 is 12.6 and 4.4 hp but the 362 more weight but more power and better gas milage, so most saws will get the dog crap beat out of them up against a 362

fer being a forum full of tough chainsaw wielding manly-men, you all sure tend to get worked up faster than two teenage girls that wore the same dress to prom.

now, when you climb pine trees shoeless and shirtless in <0F weather to limb with a 60" bar on an 090 then you can tell me you scoff at 2lbs, because you'd be manlier than i am as I wear a shirt and socks when I do it with my 088.

Danno77 said:
fer being a forum full of tough chainsaw wielding manly-men, you all sure tend to get worked up faster than two teenage girls that wore the same dress to prom.

now, when you climb pine trees shoeless and shirtless in <0F weather to limb with a 60" bar on an 090 then you can tell me you scoff at 2lbs, because you'd be manlier than i am as I wear a shirt and socks when I do it with my 088.
Here is your chance to get that same prom dress.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-090-Chain...ViewItemQQptZUS_Chainsaws?hash=item4a9f7bae3e

Thanks for the link Webie. If it didn't have that Girl bar on there I might bid....

You 2 Mary's still spewin' BS about your "2 lb rule"?
This is why I quit IDing wood in the wood room. Because a bunch of know it all keyboard quarterbacks like to poopoo on good advice from seasoned vets who've been there done that.
I'm not huffing my gear or promoting any one brand or model.
Bottom line , 2 lbs is the last thing on my mind when buying a saw. Sound advice folks, is buy what fits and spend the extra $ for a quality brand regardless of weight. Too many friends have bought a too small saw trying to save a few bucks and 2 weeks later bought a bigger one, taking a hickey on the trade.

Since I've been accused of huffing my gear I will NOW indulge! Makita SUCKS! It's all the plastic parts that make it soooo light. There is only one saw, STIHL!

Oh and Unthinkxing,,,, at 5'7" - 260 you might want to leave that box off HoHo's home thats 2 lbs less you'll have to carry!

RespectfuLEE.
KNUCKLEDRAGGER

ApproximateLEE said:
You 2 Mary's still spewin' BS about your "2 lb rule"?
This is why I quit IDing wood in the wood room. Because a bunch of know it all keyboard quarterbacks like to poopoo on good advice from seasoned vets who've been there done that.
I'm not huffing my gear or promoting any one brand or model.
Bottom line , 2 lbs is the last thing on my mind when buying a saw. Sound advice folks, is buy what fits and spend the extra $ for a quality brand regardless of weight. Too many friends have bought a too small saw trying to save a few bucks and 2 weeks later bought a bigger one, taking a hickey on the trade.

Since I've been accused of huffing my gear I will NOW indulge! Makita SUCKS! It's all the plastic parts that make it soooo light. There is only one saw, STIHL!

Oh and Unthinkxing,,,, at 5'7" - 260 you might want to leave that box off HoHo's home thats 2 lbs less you'll have to carry!

RespectfuLEE.
KNUCKLEDRAGGER
Lee, I just have to say that when i read your post a while back I almost had to change my signature to include your quote "I crap 2 lbs." something about that just made me laugh out loud, and I mean that literally. I seriously let one loud "HA!" out and the libriarian (My office is attached to the library) asked if I was ok in here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.