Picking away at 2012

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Been splitting the last couple weeks an hour here and there. Have 5 or 6 split and a couple that need to be cut to fit in the splitter. Almost time to start gathering again.

Attachments

• Picking away at 2012
    090710heap.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 443
  • Picking away at 2012
    090710terrace.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 455
Solar that BEAST still hungry, nice job.

zap

Thanks Zap, my first welding job seems to have held. Pushed all kinds of nasties through her with no problems. Found it to be kind of relaxing to just split for an hour or so before sunset instead of my traditional marathon sessions.

Thanks. As I have gotten further ahead, I have been splitting bigger. My current goal is 8x8s with the idea that I can easily get three of them in the firebox with room for some filler. Saves a lot of time splitting and seems like you can get a lot more weight in the stove. Seems to take longer to dry though.

SolarAndWood said:
Thanks. As I have gotten further ahead, I have been splitting bigger. My current goal is 8x8s with the idea that I can easily get three of them in the firebox with room for some filler. Saves a lot of time splitting and seems like you can get a lot more weight in the stove. Seems to take longer to dry though.

Good idea! Wondering if those big splits would dry under my backyard conditions in 2years?

SolarAndWood said:

Its funny, I looked at my wood for this winter and the splits are a lot thinner than my pile for next year. Im hoping the extra summer drying time allows me to burn fatter pieces and longer burn times.

Spliter, for us burn time is everything. We have two little kids, both work and don't have a furnace. We were burning 2 year dried 6x6s last year. Not sure how much of it was the stove and how much of it was the fuel, but burning became very easy.

Ice, we are blessed and cursed with our location. No stacking required for drying because of the wind and a great view as a bonus, but man do we pay for it when its cold and blowing. Take the good with the bad I guess.

BucksCoBernie said:
Its funny, I looked at my wood for this winter and the splits are a lot thinner than my pile for next year. Im hoping the extra summer drying time allows me to burn fatter pieces and longer burn times.

That's my strategy. I'm hoping that the combination of stove, fuel and tightening up the house will lead to woodburner's bliss this winter. Came close last winter, but this year we'll have bigger splits, an inch of foam, fresh Tyvek and even siding. Hopefully this will mean less processing in the future.

SolarAndWood said:
Spliter, for us burn time is everything. We have two little kids, both work and don't have a furnace. We were burning 2 year dried 6x6s last year. Not sure how much of it was the stove and how much of it was the fuel, but burning became very easy.

Ice, we are blessed and cursed with our location. No stacking required for drying because of the wind and a great view as a bonus, but man do we pay for it when its cold and blowing. Take the good with the bad I guess.

So glad I come to this site ! I got close to 2 cords that I won't need for at least end of 2012-13 season so I think I will split one cord big like that and see heck might as well split it all big and just check it that summer and see .... but wow I wonder what temp the stove would stay at with such big pieces?

I filled the stove with 6x6s when it was cold and had no problems, just long burns. Not sure how the air was adjusted through the course of the burn though as the thermostat does it not me.

Thought I was going to close the deal today. But, the drive-in until 3AM and a few beers while it was pouring this afternoon put an end to that.

Attachments

• Picking away at 2012
    091210 heap.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 288
  • Picking away at 2012
    091210 progress.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 302
SolarAndWood said:
Thought I was going to close the deal today. But, the drive-in until 3AM and a few beers while it was pouring this afternoon put an end to that.

It's not going anywhere, kick back and watch some football.

zap

That's pretty funny coming from you Zap.

SolarAndWood said:
That's pretty funny coming from you Zap.

Solar what movie did you see and was it good?

zap

Saw 4 marginal films but had a great time...Shrek forever, Tom Cruise and Carman Diaz? in a spy film, the last exorcist and the A-team. Gotta love the drive-in experience, almost 8 hours of entertainment for 18 bucks.

Looks good S&W

I like handling bigger splits myself. A lot easier grabbing one big split than 3-4 small ones. I have been forced by time to make smaller splits than I want but I am slowly starting to ahead of the game too.

Billy

Other than drying time, I see nothing but good from splitting bigger. Less splitting time, less splitting fuel, fewer pieces to stack, fewer pieces to move next to the stove, fewer pieces to put in the stove and more weight in the stove on every load. My wife complains about the bigger splits every time she sees me processing. But with the new stove, we are only loading once a day anyway. So, she rarely touches anything on the stove other than the tstat.

The same theory holds for the rounds I bring home. The biggest I get is about 30" in diameter before they start noodling them. I figure that is 14 times the amount of wood as I get in an 8" round and its hard to make an 8x8 split out of an 8 inch round. Fewer pieces to load in the trailer, fewer pieces to stack in the trailer, fewer pieces to unload from the trailer and fewer pieces to move to the splitter.

Since it is the end of the Mayan calendar and the world as we know it, I think you might have wasted your time. :p

After splitting 8 cord, my mind is at least clear and ready for the end of the world ;-)

Your point about being able to work an hour here and an hour there is the only thing that makes me consider getting our own splitter.

When we rent one it has to be a marathon session to make it work for us.

If I could buy one on shares with a friend I would be all over that. Our next session with the splitter should be in the next month and it will be a doozer as we will need to chew through as many as 7 cords in a couple of days. It will need to be all hands on deck for running the splitter and stacking. If we had our own our splitter I could turn our 12 and 13 year old boys loose every day for a little while. They are learning to run the rental and if they stay out of the heaviest rounds they do alright.

At that point when we are caught up and ahead for next year I will be hopefully getting back to cutting, splitting and stacking a little bit at a time all year round to avoid a back log like I am currently experiencing.

Nice Chunks! :)

so what kinda wood yah got there in that big pile nice pile at that...

lowroadacres said:
Your point about being able to work an hour here and an hour there is the only thing that makes me consider getting our own splitter.

I have been through every splitting option. The maul got old given how much wood it takes too keep the house warm. Then the 3 point on the tractor. Slow and loud to keep the pump on the tractor turning fast enough but got the job done. Next was the little horizontal that scared the chit out of me with the flex on the beam with anything substantial. The latest evolution is all good. My FIL nailed it other than the 4 cyl motor out of a Bobcat he used to power it. Nice working height, big piece of steel to keep everything straight and the electric motor has proved to be the perfect power plant for my needs.

Attachments

• Picking away at 2012
    vertical splitter.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Picking away at 2012
    041710splitter.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.