Pics of freestanding stove on hearth in front of old fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
I've been looking but haven't seen much. I'm thinking this might be an option we should consider vs an insert.

I really like this design.... Insert vs Freestanding

One question, if you T into the vertical pipe run, do you have to have an access to the T? I don't see how this could be done in the above picture.

Looks like they popped a few bricks out. I would imagine they would just move the stove enough to get access. That is what I do, I’ve gotten pretty fast at it too.
Here’s my setup. Never really liked inserts.

8BE969A6-C638-456E-B670-E946749C005F.jpeg

Jotul Oslo Stove in Timber Cabin 2017 December .jpg
My Jotul Freestanding Stove is the center piece of My Timber Framed Home , I built the Stone wall behind it and the 8ft x 12in x 4in Beam Mantle w Cedar Boards above, Carved the 6x6 Post into Axe Cut rough post that I Torched to set it off , built the Hearth w Tile as enjoy sitting on it when I'm getting stove Fired up 24/7 :) It does Great Radiating the heat from inside :)

I don't have to move anything, just reach back and take the screws off my cap and I'm ready to sweep. Every install is different but it' easier than it looks.

Thanks for the info. So those of you that go straight out the back of the stove and T into your pipe (or up a few feet and tie in), how do you access that area if you’ve covered it all with brick from the inside? Maybe I’m missing something. Maybe you don’t need to access. Maybe you don’t have to get to the connection if you pull the stove out?

I’m liking this idea more than an insert.

View attachment 221015 My Jotul Freestanding Stove is the center piece of My Timber Framed Home , I built the Stone wall behind it and the 8ft x 12in x 4in Beam Mantle w Cedar Boards above, Carved the 6x6 Post into Axe Cut rough post that I Torched to set it off , built the Hearth w Tile as enjoy sitting on it when I'm getting stove Fired up 24/7 :) It does Great Radiating the heat from inside :)
Looks really good very comfortable but I'm wondering why the stove is off center seems to appear to be to the right of Center unless this is an optical illusion commonly known as an optical intrusion LOL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: yaker57
Looks really good very comfortable but I'm wondering why the stove is off center seems to appear to be to the right of Center unless this is an optical illusion commonly known as an optical intrusion LOL

Your correct ,Intentionally done as wanted the extra clearance for loading stove on the left side , store my wood on left side at back next to stone carved wall I built :) It is The Greatest Comfort I've had in a stove, with the change from thru the wall pipe to this straight up, and the Timber Framing has changed it from a stove, that I had to keep the side door open that consumed piles of hedge wood, to the Cadillac stove I knew I had bought ,also helped to change pipe size from 8in to the 6in, had different stove that used the 8in, I am in shock of how little amount of wood I have cut and burned even in the incredible cold snaps we have had , it is a Pleasure to burn 24/7 & Cook in it also:)

All around, very nice, love the timbers and overall look. If i had the room i think a freestanding unit would much more efficient.

Thanks for sharing.

Keep warm. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

All around, very nice, love the timbers and overall look. If i had the room i think a freestanding unit would much more efficient.

Thanks for sharing.

Keep warm. [emoji4]

Thx ksmobile1 , I Appreciate Your Kindness:) I am Creating the same look Timber Frame, in an 11x11 little room, so Lord knows anyone can create Timber Frame in there home, the Limestone wall behind the Jotul Stove helps to thro the heat out, I've back in the day had stove in middle of room, the Limestone work lots better....My Hearth is 6x5 surely You have the room for a stove freestanding:) But then again surely the ice will be off the lakes so can get back to "Therapy", Lol, & not firewood as much, which I enjoy also :)