Pictures of liner after 2 months

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinewoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2008
Va.
I have been burning now almo two months with the new Fireview. Went up on the roof to check our the liner. Inside was clean, only the top that has no insulation had any flakes on it. I think I will wait untill spring to clean the liner. The cap has some flakes on it, but it brushed off with one pass of a brush. I did not think it looked to bad. The cap is on its side in the picture.

Attachments

• DSCN1620.JPG
    DSCN1620.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 694
  • DSCN1613.JPG
    DSCN1613.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 691
Id say not to shabby for a stove that you can smoulder a fire in once the CAT is lit. Pine to boot too? Exellent example.
Nice results.

Looks good. I took a look at mine today and after about 1.5 cords the cap has nothing and the liner only looks a little worse than yours. I think I will wait til spring too.

I agree looks good. Thats what mine looks like, a little over a cord and a half, burning from October thru the end of December...I will sweep in spring.

Good grief. My liners don't look that good right after they are swept. I want a couple of Fireviews. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
Good grief. My liners don't look that good right after they are swept. I want a couple of Fireviews. :coolsmirk:

Time to HAIL to the properly operated Catalytic stoves B.B.

north of 60 said:
BrotherBart said:

Time to HAIL to the properly operated Catalytic stoves B.B.

I would have had a cat last time and this time North but everything I saw wanted a 8" chimney and that I just can't make fit. I didn't want one bad enough to bust out the flue tiles. :ahhh:

I bought the Fireview because I wanted the long burn times. I love the look of the soapstone and I looked hard at the Heartstone stoves. I did not like the dealer for them and I started researching the Woodstock stoves. I have to say, they are as good as the reports on them. Once the cat is lit, they can be choked down for really long burns. I am still learning this stove and I can say that it is much better than my old steel stove. My wife has even learned to load it and engage the cat.

Cat - not worth the trouble IMO.

I run a PE .

After the 1st season, I swept the chimney. about 33 foot stack, including the stove to ceiling. Got about 2 cups of fine ash. This includes fall and spring burning when I'm just burning a piece or two at a time.

It's all about the stove and the stack.

Good stove, good stack, no buildup.

One lever on the PE - put it where you want it, and forget about it.

Ivy said:

I run a PE .This includes fall and spring burning when I'm just burning a piece or two at a time.
Some of us dont have time to put in one peice @ a time to hang around that one leaver you speak of. I ll tell ya that second lever is a duzey. :roll: :coolgrin:

north of 60 said:
Ivy said:

I run a PE .This includes fall and spring burning when I'm just burning a piece or two at a time.
Some of us dont have time to put in one peice @ a time to hang around that one leaver you speak of. I ll tell ya that second lever is a duzey. :roll: :coolgrin:

Huh? What do you mean? I'm burning one piece at a time because it's 50 outside and that's all I need.

Here's a typical cycle for me today . . .

10PM - Open door of stove. No moving levers, no opening door slow, just open it. Rake coals forward. Add 5 sticks of wood. Close door. Move lever to full bore. Within 20 minutes, put lever at level of heat desired. Midnight - lower lever all the way to off. Go to bed. Stove at about 600. Stays between 300-600 for about 6-8 hours.

8AM - Open door, rake coals forward. Add 5 sticks of wood. Lever on high. Within 20 minutes, put lever at about 20%. Done for 6 hours.

If I wanted to, I wouldn't even need to adjust the lever when adding wood - it would just take an additional 20 minutes to get blazing and be a bit smokier.

I'm actually surprised Cats are still made. It would be like seeing a new car come out with a manual choke. Sure, using a manual choke is easy to learn, but why?

I do basically the same thing Frank, but just have one more lever to pull, it's no big deal. They still make cats because there is a market for them. Some people like me, like the long slow even heat and fuel savings they deliver.

I want a cat, but I need at least 3.0 Cu. ft firebox, and I don't like the look of a BK. The fireview is interesting to me, but I just don't think it will throw the heat that I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.