Pie anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to "pie" them and then cut squares off the end.
I don't always go all the way though either letting the whole thing stays together with no splits falling off.
Don't need a tire that way.

I use a short handled maul and wedges. Usually don't have to make much of a swing with crotchless oak rounds.

I have two cords of oak rounds just like that that need to be split, problem is I scrounged them and they're all too long, either 20-22 inches so I have to cut them down too. Glad you had fun, its a good workout.

basswidow said:
Makes these rounds alittle more managable. Started 10am - finished at 3pm, took a lunch break. Not too shabby for an old man.

That spud bar is MONEY.

Hey old man, that is nice work. I wish I had a dollar for every one I've split like that and most of them I split with double bitted axe! If the axe would not split it, then I'd go to the sledge and wedges. Never used a spud when splitting (used the axe to finish the split) but can see the advantage. All in all, you got a good workout and some great firewood.

bogydave said:
Those big rounds bring up a question I've wondered about. :eek:hh: ???
Is it better to "Pie" them or take off the edges & then "square/rectangle" the middle. I see some nice 4" X 6" rectangle & some nice big square splits in several pictures.
What is the a "Best way" to split for size, stacking, drying & burning when you have the big rounds?
Not that I get many up here, but every now & then I get some 20" +/-. I call them "rollers" because I don't lift them, I role them on & off the trailer.

Dave, it depends upon the wood and how you are splitting. Split wood with an axe for a while and you learn if the wood splits easier through the heart or to slab it. Using hydraulics I like to slab and then split the rest into rectangular pieces. The reason is that the rectangles stack much nicer in the woodpile and the stove. For the stove, stacking them in tight means longer burn times.

As for the drying, if you stack tighter then you need to add time for drying but as long as you are 2-3 years or more ahead, then it is not a concern.

Nice work! Looks like fuuun!

Man, those huge rounds are beautiful. The sight of them also brings back memories of some mighty struggles. :lol:

basswidow said:
I guess there are many names for a Spud Bar...It sure gives you some leverage when you need to move big logs or break apart some stringy pie cuts.
I've got a spud and a LogRite 60" peavey. The spud is better at getting into narrower splits but the peavey is great for spinning big rounds into position on the power splitter.

Gark said:
Tip: lay the round on a 4X4 and wedge along the line above the 4X4... It acts like a fulcrum and the weight
of the two halves help open the split. Also, it won't be shoving the halves apart against the ground.
Great idea, thanks! :coolsmile:

Backwoods Savage said:
bogydave said:
Those big rounds bring up a question I've wondered about. :eek:hh: ???
Is it better to "Pie" them or take off the edges & then "square/rectangle" the middle. I see some nice 4" X 6" rectangle & some nice big square splits in several pictures.
What is the a "Best way" to split for size, stacking, drying & burning when you have the big rounds?
Not that I get many up here, but every now & then I get some 20" +/-. I call them "rollers" because I don't lift them, I role them on & off the trailer.

Dave, it depends upon the wood and how you are splitting. Split wood with an axe for a while and you learn if the wood splits easier through the heart or to slab it. Using hydraulics I like to slab and then split the rest into rectangular pieces. The reason is that the rectangles stack much nicer in the woodpile and the stove. For the stove, stacking them in tight means longer burn times.

As for the drying, if you stack tighter then you need to add time for drying but as long as you are 2-3 years or more ahead, then it is not a concern.

I know birch has to be split to season, large rounds will start to rot in the middle if not split. I figured more bare wood showing may help it dry faster.
I have a few rounds that are big enough to get some rectangle pieces out of. I may give it a try. (January wood)
Some big thick rectangular splits would be nice for the -10 & colder days.
I wouldn't get longer burn times , just more heat with the stove being cranked up a notch or 2.

Nice to see the sledge and wedge out, I often resort to the wedge on stuff smaller than that......... ;-)

metrowlogger, we've had ours for about 9 or 10 years now and it has been trouble free. I also know of many other farmers in the area who also have the 290 and some have bigger Stihl saws. I've heard no complaints.

metrowlogger said:
How do you like that "farm boss"? I was thinkin bout getin 1 of those fro my next saw.

Got this one off ebay for $ 200. Had to put a new bar on it, chain, replaced a cracked chain brake, and got a muffler to put on her, but have yet to do it. If you look on ebay, there's a million parts for this model. There super easy to work on and with. I love the saw. It's a keeper. Usually starts on the second pull and has never let me down.

I moved all those pie cuts today - back to my processing area. Most all of them, I took the fiskars and whacked the tip of the pie off to make the first split and then made board like cuts on the remaining pie. Easy splitting. Heck of a work out. My front drive is now clear for company. My tree guy called and said he's bringing me another load this week. I will keep you all posted.

I can't believe my good fortune and scoring a tree service connection. Free delivered wood! It dosen't get any better. I've got plenty of room on my bottom land where an old drive is cut in. I'm gonna start piling down there and get years ahead of the game. I'm already done for next year (earliest I've ever been done), and will be 2 years done by December. Feels good. Wife is to thank!

Just as soon as I get a ton of wood......... watch my job transfer me. ARG!

basswidow said:
I can't believe my good fortune and scoring a tree service connection. Free delivered wood! It dosen't get any better. I've got plenty of room on my bottom land where an old drive is cut in. I'm gonna start piling down there and get years ahead of the game. I'm already done for next year (earliest I've ever been done), and will be 2 years done by December. Feels good. Wife is to thank!

Just as soon as I get a ton of wood......... watch my job transfer me. ARG!

Doesn't get any better, make sure you have a few beers to give to the tree guy, people that drop free wood off are more valuable than gold dust over here........

And don't worry about being transferred, just make sure you company pays your removal costs, including 20 tons of seasoned oak ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.