Pileated Wood Peckers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I know the pic is not the clearest, but saw these through my back window this morning and had to shot them thru a window and screen. Not everyday one sees 2 of them this close and together.

I had a female turkey in my front yard, then a male turkey later in the same area earlier this past week.

Shipper

Attachments

• Pilated Wood Peckers.jpg
    Pilated Wood Peckers.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 427
Those big woodpeckers are so cool! We have a few of them here too.

I've never seen a pair together, either (and I have a pine that has had a nest in it in the past right in the back yard, but not viewable from the house) .
They come to my suet feeder though and I've watched them stabbing away at a stump just outside the kitchen window.
They "announce" their intentions to approach the feeder like red wing black birds do. Weird.

That is a cool picture. I never see them together either.

We have several hanging out here, though I haven't seen a pair together either. They love our big bird houses. Not for living in, but for sounding boards. The woodpecker family likes to drum on something loud to attract a mate. They also use our neighbor's woodstove cap for this. He says it drives them nuts at times.

How long did it take them to finish splitting those rounds?? :)

The one at the bottom was really going at it and had the bark off, but he gave up on getting it split open. :lol:

Shipper

The female turkey was back today and was looking around the ground near my bird feeder. I need to get a better zoom camera so my pics are closer.

Shipper

Attachments

• Hen Turkey.jpg
    Hen Turkey.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 387
Shipper50 said:
I know the pic is not the clearest, but saw these through my back window this morning and had to shot them thru a window and screen. Not everyday one sees 2 of them this close and together.

I had a female turkey in my front yard, then a male turkey later in the same area earlier this past week.

Shipper

Nice 'peckers! :)'

Status
Not open for further replies.