Pilot gas coming from main burner.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimSachs

Nov 14, 2020
Ashland OR
Hi, experts! I bought a used Hampton H15 fireplace which has had an LP kit installed. The first time I tried to light it, I pressed the Pilot button, heard the gas and the igniter snapping. After pressing it for a long time, I let it go and turned away. A few seconds later there was a rather violent explosion.

Because the logs were in the way, I couldn't actually see the igniter spark. I thought maybe the spark wire was "leaking" somewhere besides the pilot area, so I removed the logs and tried again. The spark was right where it was supposed to be, but it still wouldn't light. A few seconds later - Bang!

I removed the bottom pan, exposing the main gas inlet into the firebox. I pressed the Pilot button, and could immediately feel gas coming out of the main burner inlet, NOT the pilot area. So when I was pressing the Pilot button, the bottom of the firebox was filling with propane until it reached the spark, then exploding.

I was not the one who installed the LP conversion kit, and was wondering if there's anything in that kit which might account for the gas being directed in the wrong direction from the gas control unit.

If you're getting gas out of the burner orifice while
the Off-Pilot-On switch is in the Pilot position, there's
probably a problem with the LP gas regulator head.
Something might've been assembled incorrectly,
or a part may be missing.
Can you post pix of the burner orifice
& the regulator head on the gas valve...

Reactions: JimSachs
Before you blow yourself up, I'd have your propane supplier come out and look at it. They usually do that for free.

Thanks, Bob - To be clear, the gas comes out of the burner orifice when the knob is pressed for lighting. As far as I can tell, no gas is coming out of the pilot orifice. Your suggestion that someone might have assembled the valve wrong or left out parts could be the case. I was hoping someone here would know what that LP conversion kit includes. The ones I've done myself were pretty much just different size jets.

The LP conversion kits consist of a smaller burner orifice & pilot orifice, since LP is higher in pressure than NG.
Also required is a different regulator head. You have to adjust the air shutter accordingly, per the owner's manual.
There are also two stickers, one for the valve & one for the rating plate, & the one on the rating plate may have the
LP Conversion Kit# on it.

Thanks for the info. It's the part about the new regulator head that worries me. I disconnected the gas feed and just pressurized the inlet line with air. Same as before -- air flows strongly from the main burner orifice when I press the Pilot knob, but not any other time. Air does not seem to come out the pilot tube at any time.

It turned out that the control unit was full of water. I took it apart, cleaned and dried it out, and it seems to be fine now. Gas only comes out of the pilot orifice now when the knob is depressed in the Pilot position.