Pilot won't stay lit on my Vermont Casting Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bc117

Dec 10, 2014
New England
Hi all,
I have a Vermont Casting SNV30 lp stove. The gas line is 1/2" flex copper hooked to a 30lb tank with a regulator. When I first hooked it up worked well. Now the pilot will not stay lit. When I prime the pilot it has a nice blue flame and the thermocouple turns orange. I have changed the thermocouple and cleaned the pilot but it still won't stay lit. Could it be the thermopile? Really frustrated and not sure where to look next. Thanks for the assistance

Next thing to do would be to test the thermocouple. Do you have a multimeter?
I got the pilot to stay lit, now when I turn to the on position the pilot goes out but on a good note the polit comes back on and stays lit.
Now the pilot won't stay let again this is very upsetting.

Last edited:
The pilot is staying lit readjusted the coupler again and it seems to be working fine. I have tested the thermopile across the terminals and get 69.5 mA dc but where I turn the knob to the on position I can hear the valve close and the flame goes out.

There may be a thrmodisk up near the top of the stove that has either failed or the wiring to & from it may have failed.
There should be a wire running from the terminal block on the valve to that t-disk.
See if you can find it. Remove the spaded ends off the t-disk & Jump the wires together.
NOW try to light the burner.

The pilot is staying lit readjusted the coupler again and it seems to be working fine. I have tested the thermopile across the terminals and get 69.5 mA dc but where I turn the knob to the on position I can hear the valve close and the flame goes out.

You should be reading across the TH & the TH-TP terminals & your meter should be set to mV DC.

When the pilot is lit I have .96 mA DC at the plug on end of the thermocoupler. Very inconsistent with the pilot. Some times it stays on and other times it doesn't ?

When the pilot is lit I have .96 mA DC at the plug on end of the thermocoupler. Very inconsistent with the pilot. Some times it stays on and other times it doesn't ?

When you test the thermocouple, you alo need to be in DC mV. One lead goes pn the copper & the other lead goes on the very end that is inserted in the valve.
The thermocouple MUST be engulfed in flame to take a milliviolt reading. It should be ABOVE 28mV DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.