Pin Oak to burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
The drought has taken a toll on trees, but particularly the water elms and pin oaks. I won't mess with the elms, but how good are pin oaks for splitting and burning in Jotul stoves? They seem to be a softer oak than Live Oaks or Post Oaks.

Pin oak can be a bear to split, especially on the upper trunk where all the branches start coming off. The straight sections split pretty easily. Pin oak burns great. Just takes a long time to dry.

Pin oak burns good so long as you can give it the extra time to dry. Splitting is about like any red oak. I would find it hard to believe they are softer than the other oaks unless they have been dead for quite some time.

+ 1 pins around here seem just as hard.

Around here they slough off their limbs faster when dead than Post Oaks or Live Oaks. They are also found in creek bottoms and gullys I guess they love water and need longer to dry out than the other oaks.

G6 at Snook said:
Around here they slough off their limbs faster when dead than Post Oaks or Live Oaks. They are also found in creek bottoms and gullys I guess they love water and need longer to dry out than the other oaks.

Bottom limbs on them are junk, normally dead and just hanging. Now once in the trunk its begging for more cc's quick!

G6 at Snook said:
They are also found in creek bottoms and gullys I guess they love water and need longer to dry out than the other oaks.
None on my property but many to be found in valleys nearby. Pin is in the Red Oak family, so needs similar drying time. I'm not sure that a green Pin would have any more moisture than green Red...
I've got a couple of storm-downed Pin Oaks to get, but now I'm working to split and stack stuff that I'll be needing sooner. I've got the Pins slated for 2014.

Jay is right. Those lower limbs die quickly and are almost always pointing down.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay is right. Those lower limbs die quickly and are almost always pointing down.

Yep. We have one in the front yard. It has the characteristic downward hanging dead branches- but heck, cut 'em off and they make dandy kindling.

I agree they can be very hard to split. Full of knots and curved grain. The heartwood of large trees can be very stringy, like elm. Not like most other oaks. Burns hot though.

I have a bit of pin oak here and I do tend to use several size wedges and sometimes an axe or splitting maul as a pry bar on those damned branches that hold things together like pins.
Cuts nice when it is green, but if you have to trim any pieces after it has seasoned for being too long to fit in the stove you better have a damned sharp chain .

I've had some Pin Oak rounds that I didn't split with the rest of the tree.
About three years later my Ten pound maul and my Fiskers SS didn't make a dent in them. Just bounced right off
Those three year old rounds made the best overnight burns I've ever had.

Ken, that sounds just like Tony trying to split some of our wood at the Woodstock Open House.

Status
Not open for further replies.