Pine Fairy Came to the Hood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dougand3. Good for you! You are a lucky man. Easy BTUs. Get all you can with the room you have to place it. Like the others have said. Get it split and stacked and up on some pallets. Preferrable in long single or double rows with a space between them. I do two rows on pallets, gives you plenty of room for 6 inches or more in between them. The pine dries nice if it is outside at least one full year and in not too big of splits. Of course a little longer is nicer. ;)

Dougand3. That is a nice score and welcome to Pine Villa! I have this love/hate relationship with my pine for sure, but when I cut them 18 to 20 " long and leave the splits on the large side, you will get plenty of burn time out of them. Just be cautious of overfiring.

~Bruce

I personally don't burn pine any longer and not because its bad or anything like that, just have an abundance of poplar maple and oak. I have burned it in the past when it was "donated" by a local tree service and it certainly does burn long and hot when properly seasoned.

Check the BTU charts. I think you will find that Pine is higher than Poplar. I usually pass on both of them. Our pine (Virgina) is very hard to split b/c it is full of knots and is only good for pulp wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.