Pine Sap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale.Z

Mar 14, 2009
East TN
Neighbor had a large white pine come down last week. This morning was my First experience that I have had with a pine. Can anybody tell me the secret to getting all that pine sap of my cloths and my gear? Man this stuff is a mess!

Thanks

baby oil!

peanut butter, mayonnaise, and WD-40 are supposed to work.

I've found dirt and soap work well enough.
I've used acetone, too.

Any of the citrus-based cleaners; my wife buys "Orange Power" or something like that. Takes pitch right off.

-=[ Grant ]=-

First, learn to handle it by the bark, not by the ends. Then, for the unavoidable, try Goo-Gone. Works like a charm. Smells like citrus, but is actually petroleum based and flammable, as are many similar products. Not quite as harsh on the skin as straight paint thinner (mineral spirits), but you still want to wash with soap & water shortly after using it if you can. I work with a lot of pine and Juniper...and yes, when it's fresh cut live the sap is prodigious, but as it seasons all that stuff dries up & goes away. I have a pair of gloves set aside for working with that stuff, and when they get to where I can't stand it anymore, they get tossed. If I'm gonna drive my tractor, I don't put on my gloves until I get to the wood, otherwise it gets all over my steering wheel. Get it cut, split & stacked and seasoned for a year or two, and there won't be a trace of nasty sap to be found. Rick

As said once above, Baby oil. It will pull it right off of your hands (or tools or whatever) and then it will wash away with soap and water. When done your hands don't have the harsh scent of some of the other solutions, if that is of any concern.

Baby oil = mineral oil. Wear chaps, gloves, and a shirt/jacket that can take it. The sap wears off of the chaps. When the gloves get too bad to use, makes OK kindling. Shirt/jacket? hmmm. keep wearing 'em.

Pine-Sol. I even use a 10% mixture on my bandmill drip lube system. Keeps the blade free of pitch build-up.

Thanks for all your help I will definitely try most of them. But I am going to think twice about taking on another pine tree yuck!

Bondo said:
Ayuh,.... Many good Ideas for pitch removal, But I don't see the 1 I've used since I was a child,...

Butter....

Plain ole Butter, rubbed on to the pitch floats it right Off...

That's one I never heard before, may have to give it a shot, now I gotta find some bread....

I use cooking oil- saturate the pitch-gummed area with something like Mazola (and I mean saturate- don't go light), then let it sit a few hours. Then "work" the whole area so that you are using the oil-soaked fabric to scrub itself in all pitch-afflicted areas. This should dissolve and suspend the pitch in the oil. Then take Dawn dishwashing detergent and slowly knead that into the entire area where the pitch and cooking oil were. Let it sit a few hours. then come back and add some more Dawn and knead it in again. Then throw the item in the wash on as hot or warm a setting as you dare- run once, and then go ahead and run again with regular laundry detergent. This technique, which takes some patience, but not all that much time or effort, works miracles,

Dale.Z said:
Neighbor had a large white pine come down last week. This morning was my First experience that I have had with a pine. Can anybody tell me the secret to getting all that pine sap of my cloths and my gear? Man this stuff is a mess!

Thanks

Your clothes are screwed. You can try Simple Green but once it's in the fabric it's there forever.

Your gear? Gas/diesel/kerosene/mineral spirits - any of those will cut right through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.