Pinging noise while stove is running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcd

Sep 29, 2013
Massachusetts
New member here. I had these pinging noises tonight as the insert heats up. Temp was at 450-500. I have a VC Montpelier newly installed a month ago. Not sure if this is normal, or just the expansion as it heats up.
Mcd

Completely normal!

When metal changes temp you'll have this. Park a hot car and often times you'll hear a solid exhaust system make similar pinging noises as the temp starts to drop.

Enjoy your insert!

Reactions: PapaDave
When my stove starts doing it I know it is coming up to 550 degrees stove top temperature. Pings steadily from there up to 650.

A feature.

Reactions: Ashful
I had them the first Time I really fired up my montpelier, how do you like yours so far? What are your prs and cons......

As BroBart indicated... if you spend any amount of time around the stove, you get to know what temperature those pings correspond to, and you won't need to go over to check the stove top thermo quite so often.

Now, will you call me weird if I told you my two Jotul F12's have different "voices"? Put in a room blindfolded, I could tell you which stove I'm hearing, by the different pitch in their pings.

Reactions: Billybonfire
Sprinter, I think that's normal. My 20 year old Jotul pings much less than the newer one. The newer one was freshly rebuilt when I got it last year, and it pinged a lot... now, much less. In fact, I think the only remaining source of pinging on the one that hasn't been rebuilt in 20 years is where the flue pipe meets the flue collar. The flue shrinks/expands, and the flue pipe must wiggle (imperceptibly) in the flue collar.

Reactions: Sprinter
I had them the first Time I really fired up my montpelier, how do you like yours so far? What are your prs and cons......
I have the vc monte with the Georgian surround. Newly installed in late September. I have just recently starting using it more as the temps are getting colder. I like the heat output somewhat, room that its in get to about 72, but I haven't really loaded it up to its max, so i'm not sure what it can really do. I'm still experimenting on getting a good hot fire going, and using the blowers.

I like the looks and flush mount and easy to start up a fire. I seem to have a good draft with no smoke problems. I seem to be going through wood pretty fast though, but that could be not knowing when to turn down the air. I have't achieved that long burn they claim you can get, but it's probably my inexperience, since this my first stove.

How much of a load can be put into this stove? To achieve max heat.

Also, have roxul block off, that is what the installer used.

As far as cons go, I don't have many at this point, maybe just the heat output, and I have heard some pinging noises as the temp increases. The blower noise aren't that bad when they come, but I have it set to a lower position.

Mcd

"The sound of heat."

Reactions: PapaDave
My Jotul pings a lot in the beginning of burning season???. It couldn't possibly know what month it is.!!!

Reactions: mfglickman
My Montpelier pings when it's warming up. Don't be disappointed with the heat output. The cast iron takes a long time to really heat up. After it does you will really feel the heat!

Mine only pinged 1 time last year when I really fired it up, I haven't heard it since, I was worried when I heard it but then after that I didn't hear it. My issue with mine is how long the wood lasts, I have small splits but the flaming action in the box seems to kill the wood pretty quick, so I am reloading too often, I'm still experimenting but that's the one thing I'm not happy about and will continue to work on......

Mine only pinged 1 time last year when I really fired it up, I haven't heard it since, I was worried when I heard it but then after that I didn't hear it. My issue with mine is how long the wood lasts, I have small splits but the flaming action in the box seems to kill the wood pretty quick, so I am reloading too often, I'm still experimenting but that's the one thing I'm not happy about and will continue to work on......
Mine seems to ping lately every time it hits about 400, after the blower is on, it quiets down. It seems to me that as the temps increase I hear it more. I also have the same problem with going through wood. I think I probably need to shut the air down sooner.
Mcd

Keep firing it up, those pings should go away, I reach 500 to 625 on the inside firebrick.... Even when I close it down, I still go through wood way too fast....

I find that my stove pings slowly and predictably as it is heating up, but if I close the fire down too quickly while it is heating up, the pings increase to a much more rapid rate. Then, I know that I am being too aggressive in closing the fire down. Or, if I close the fire down and the pings increase in frequency, then stabilize quickly, I know that I closed the fire just enough, and that it is probably ready for more air reduction.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.