Pipe Cleaning Brush/rod recommendations for a low-cost tool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donbryce

Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2009
NB Canada
I have a plan to clean my pipe as soon as I can put together a suitable brush and rod combo, for a reasonable price. That sure as hell isn't going to be the locally available Imperial brush and rod combo, currently $15.00 for each of 1 brush and 2 X4' fibreglass rods, over $50.00 with sales tax.

I need about an 8' length, and it has to have a flexible enough rod/wire to feed into my cleanout tee ash cap at the rear of the stove, then snake upward through 2 45 degree bends. The bottom of the Tee is 8 1/2" from the hearth.

The brush pictured has what looks like a steel plumbing snake type wire attached to the brush. Anyone used this type, how to they work, and could it flex enough to slide upward through the Tee into my pipe (3" duravent into a selkirk 7" chimney, I only intend to ream the pellet pipe)?

Could I just buy a brush and buy a 20' length of plumbing snake/auger ($10.00 at WalMart) cut to length, and weld a nut to it to receive the brush?

Has anyone used a piece of romex electrical wire as a 'rod'? Would a toilet bowl brush cut/ground to 3" diameter work?

Attachments

• Brush.jpg
    Brush.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 567
donbryce said:
I have a plan to clean my pipe as soon as I can put together a suitable brush and rod combo, for a reasonable price. That sure as hell isn't going to be the locally available Imperial brush and rod combo, currently $15.00 for each of 1 brush and 2 X4' fibreglass rods, over $50.00 with sales tax.

I need about an 8' length, and it has to have a flexible enough rod/wire to feed into my cleanout tee ash cap at the rear of the stove, then snake upward through 2 45 degree bends. The bottom of the Tee is 8 1/2" from the hearth.

The brush pictured has what looks like a steel plumbing snake type wire attached to the brush. Anyone used this type, how to they work, and could it flex enough to slide upward through the Tee into my pipe (3" duravent into a selkirk 7" chimney, I only intend to ream the pellet pipe)?

Could I just buy a brush and buy a 20' length of plumbing snake/auger ($10.00 at WalMart) cut to length, and weld a nut to it to receive the brush?

Has anyone used a piece of romex electrical wire as a 'rod'? Would a toilet bowl brush cut/ground to 3" diameter work?

Sounds like to much work for me! For a little more than $10.00 you can buy that brush on flea bay.

jay

I have to admit that your toilet bowl brush idea sounds intriguing! Let me know if it works. I have seen round brushes for about $2.00 that may be perfect for this.

The brush in your pic looks like the one I use.
Mine has the 3" brush and cable is like 10'ft long.
Works pretty well and was cheap

I used an old fiberglass tent pole and epoxied the joints together, then screwed the 3" vent brush to the end. Strong and flexible. Not sure what a replacement pole would cost at an outdoor store but I'm sure its less than the the sectioned lengths the brush makers sell.

I got a 6" brush that has a loop on one end and a threaded rod end on the other, from HD for $6 end of season. The box gives a few different ideas about how to do the rope and either pull down from the top, lower the brush with a rope with a 10# weight tied on below the brush, or throw the rope down the chimney and tie the brush on and pull up with a 10# weight under the brush to allow up and down passes. that would be right up your low cost idea. (kind of suprising they would give all those ideas that wouldn't sell more threaded rod sections from them)

If you have a leaf blower check the leaf blower threads? They appear to clean vent pipes better than brushes.

don pic you have is what i use. i have about 6'rise from stove to 90 elbow than out through foundation wall. sometimes just easier to by the right tools. home hardware is where i bought mine a little cheaper than canadian tire bout still better than tht pricey $90 one at kent.

dude, you have made a huge investment purchasing this stove, dont be like that guy
with the homemade pellet stove on ebay and cheap out on a brush!
Just my 2 cents!

strangemainer said:
dude, you have made a huge investment purchasing this stove, dont be like that guy
with the homemade pellet stove on ebay and cheap out on a brush!
Just my 2 cents!
You make a good point, and I'm actually not trying to 'cheap out', I just cringe when I see what local outlets are charging here in eastern Canada. I mentioned the Imperial brush and pole set in my original post, $50.00. The poster who noted the Harbour Freight brush at $2.99 hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, HF doesn't sell to Canada. EBay was mentioned too. I found the same brush for $7.95 (USD) on EBay, but shipping is $12.67, and after exchange and taxes, I'm back up to outrageous pricing again.
I'm thinking of using some accumulated CT coupon money and buying the $14.95 Imperial brush, then the $10.00 plumbing snake at WalMart with a nut welded on the end to receive the brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.