A question about stove pipe cap.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ret

Jan 28, 2023
OK
Flu is clear, but not the cap. Pipe is not to code...longer than 10/3/2 code by 5'. House built 1980. Reaching the cap is part of the problem. Top of cap is 24' up and I am not sure pipe would support a ladder secured at the bottom. I assume this is a doublewalled pipe bc internally = 8". Outside appears to be 12" or so. Smoke backs into house. I thought is was clear, but am wrong.

My wife will not allow me to climb on the roof- and I am not willing to pay the price to do it (yet). I have - and use this flu cleaning kit, but it will not extend 90 degrees to clean cap. Also have level 3 creasote. Creasote will be dealt with after the cap problem is resolved.

BYI solutions I thought of:

1. Buy 6" brush below. It should flop around and clean the cap + extend into the cap.
2. Reduce pipe length. Remove one section. Clean and replace cap and reassemble.
But, how do the pipes connect. 1/4 turn counter?
I would sneak onto the roof while wife is gone and ask forgiveness later.

Suggestions?

20230128_133657[1].jpg 20230128_133724[1].jpg 20230128_133741[1].jpg

Set ladder up against chase, twist last section of pipe off, lower down with rope to ground.

There are times when a man has to know and accept his limitations. It sounds like it's time to call the man and have him do it. Going on the roof to attempt this by yourself probably isn't the best idea, we've all done things like this but a little help might be in order.

Reactions: Shrewboy
Reducing the height by one section would make servicing much easier. No draft issues. I would opt for a initial professional service then do it yourself later.

While the sweep is up there have him inspect the chase cap for rusting. Deferring maintenance there could lead to more expensive repairs if leaks start.

If you can't or aren't allowed to fix it, and don't want to call somebody in, how will it get fixed? Don't let a chimney fire fix the problem. New chimney is way more expensive than the sweep.