Pipe cleaning is not so hard..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Here is how my pipe cleaning went today.

I got a new 6 inch brush, screwed it to one fiber glass rod, inserted it into my cleanout which is about 4 ft. off the ground, this means I have to bend the rods slightly (5ft. rod).

I then started moving brush up the pipe slowly and then pulling back. All was going well until I pushed too far and the meat on top of my finger nails was scraped off by the sharp edge on the inside of the pipe that no one told me was so sharp.

Since I am taking an aspirin regimen daily, my blood poured out of my finger like a faucet turned on and really looked cool with the black creosote now all over my face, arms and hands.

I had told my wife this would be a piece of cake so I figured I would let her see how well it was going. I went to the back door and knocked and she came to the door, took one look and shut the door.

(I forgot to add I smeared a little red stuff on my face to add to the dramatic effect of the moment.) :cheese:

I added the next section of fiber glass rod and it went in very well, quite a bit of dried creosote was flaking down all over me. Somehow I managed to slice the skin off my right thumb on the same sharp edge inside the pipe.

There has to be a better way than this...........I said while pushing and trying to hold paper towels on two parts of me that were bleeding.

I got to the bend in my pipe, the part where the pipe goes up and around the eave of my house, all went well and the brush went right through. I pulled it back and forth through this area several times and it finally got stuck, I was hoping for this because it was really going too smooth for my liking.

After a few minutes, it finally came free, so I added my last section of rod, it went all the way to the top with no problem.

All in all, it went pretty well, I told my wife that the first cleaning is always the hardest, next time would be easier.

Robbie :)

Creosote and blood is a the ceremonious war paint of many Native Americans when they go on their first chimney sweeping mission alone.

Two words.

Leather gloves.

Thats why i always sweep from the top-down . Not for everybody i know but just some of the reasons i do it this way. With all the thick Creosote and or dust i'm unsure how some people can sweep from inside there home from inside the wood stove up. BTW Robbie ......... watch out for sharp metal . :cheese: Also i like the idea of the two words of wisdom Brotherbart mentioned .

Roospike said:
Thats why i always sweep from the top . Not for everybody i know but just some of the reasons i do it this way. With all the thick Creosote and or dust i'm unsure how some people can sweep from inside there home from inside the wood stove up. BTW Robbie ......... watch out for sharp metal . :cheese: Also i like the idea of the two words of wisdom Brotherbart mentioned .

Thick creosote? Chimney cleaning? I didn't know those words were in a Summit owner's vocabulary. Must be the stove in the garage huh?

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:
Thats why i always sweep from the top . Not for everybody i know but just some of the reasons i do it this way. With all the thick Creosote and or dust i'm unsure how some people can sweep from inside there home from inside the wood stove up. BTW Robbie ......... watch out for sharp metal . :cheese: Also i like the idea of the two words of wisdom Brotherbart mentioned .

Thick creosote? Chimney cleaning. I didn't know those word were in a Summit owner's vocabulary. Must be the stove in the garage huh?
Awe , Come now ........... Ya know the Summit is self cleaning ............... right after it gets the dishes washed and lets the dog out . :cheese: Sheese . I guess the post was more of a general statment per wood stoves and sweeping . I myself ended up with around a cup of ash but there again my pipe is run inside the house ,2 story and straight up from the stove . . . . . again my Summit shouldn't get that much creosote for just the 16 logs to heat the house all winter .

Corie, I sure had the war paint !

BrotherBart, I thought of gloves right after the second cut............. :cheese:

Roospike, I wish I could sweep from the top, but my pipe is way too high to get the brush into without taking it apart.

I had about a gallon of "flaky" creosote come out of about 15 ft. of pipe. I knew the wood I burned last year was very wet, not this year !

The worst thing was my pipe rain cap, it was so bad around the spark arrestor screen I really don't see how the smoke was going out at all. It should improve for this winter since I added 2 extra feet of pipe (per MountainStoveGuy' advice), and cleaned my pipe really good.

This was a new stove and pipe set up, this is a good lesson for me, do not burn wet or non seasoned wood.

Robbie

All in all it sounds like it went pretty well eccept for the missing skin. The gloves will help with that.

congrats robbie, my first experience was similar but different.
i use the family dog(pipe cleaner poodle). with this method of liner cleaning you must go from the top down.
its pretty simple,long leash,doggie treats in the stove. just drop the leash down the liner and insert poodle.
get down from the roof pull and poodle down thru the liner:)

bruce56bb said:
congrats robbie, my first expedience was similar but different.
i use the family dog(pipe cleaner poodle). with this method of liner cleaning you must go from the top down.
its pretty simple,long leash,doggie treats in the stove. just drop the leash down the liner and insert poodle.

ROTFLMAO!! That is awsome!!

bruce56bb said:
congrats robbie, my first experience was similar but different.
HA ! Your crazy ! Now .........How to get coffee out of my keyboard .

What goes up must come down sipnning wheell got to go round

Blood Sweat and Tears Sounds about right

I wonder if Roto-Rooter would clean really gunky liners?

Status
Not open for further replies.