Pipe conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claybe

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Colorado
I bought an Earth Stove pellet stove today. I have a 6 inch liner already installed where I want the stove to go. I need to convert the 4 inch liner to the 6 inch I have installed. I found a few 15 dollar options that are not stainless steel. Can I use this? Or do I have to use the more expensive stainless options?

You don't have to use stainless. Stainless will fight rust better and is generally more maintenance free that way. What are you using though?

I bought an Earth Stove pellet stove today. I have a 6 inch liner already installed where I want the stove to go. I need to convert the 4 inch liner to the 6 inch I have installed. I found a few 15 dollar options that are not stainless steel. Can I use this? Or do I have to use the more expensive stainless options?
$15!!!! My 6" to 3" adapter was $45. I am jealous!

That will rust and even rot out over time. If this reducer is easy to get to, it might be worth it. If it's a pain to get to, you might as well spring for the better part.

The second one is the one you need. It being double wall will help keep it from rusting. The single wall black pipe eventually rusts from the combination of heat and condensation. The heat can compromise the finish over time and lead to the pipe rusting. The double wall doesn't get the outside pipe hot enough to break down the finish.
I'm not sure if I explained it right but, the ultimate "it should not rust" is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.