Pipe Damper Installation Help Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smileti

Aug 4, 2008
NW CT
Thanks to a lot of help from ace woodburners on this forum, I learned that my new Mansfield has an overdraft and needs a pipe damper. Hearthstone Tech support agreed and recommended a simple cast iron damper. I have the damper and would appreciate some advice on how to install it without wrecking the stove, the stove pipe, my marriage or my self respect.

I'm attaching a picture of the pipe configuration. The Hearthstone tech recommended that I put the damper in the straight piece right after the elbow. Does that sound right?

In order to install the damper, am I correct in thinking that I'll have to take apart all the sections of the stove pipe, install the damper and then put all the sections back together again? Any tips for getting it apart and then back together again without damage?

Attachments

• Mansfield_Stovepipe 002.JPG
    Mansfield_Stovepipe 002.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 612
Remove all screws that are holding the straight section of pipe in. Push the top elbow toward the back of the fireplace and wiggle the straight piece out. It may take some soft banging on with a rubber mallet or hammer handle. Once the piece is out, make a mark equidistant from the top and bottom of the pipe, then take a piece of string and run it around the pipe so that you are measuring it's circumference. Mark the string, with a sharpie, and then fold it back on itself so that you now have half the circumference and use that to place a 2nd mark on the other side, again equidistant from the top and bottom of the pipe. Drill a hole just slightly larger than the shaft of the damper (about 1/4"?). Insert the damper, check its operation. Then reinstall the pipe in the reverse order.

I do not see any reason to add anything else to that reply %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.