Pipe Inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stmar

Sep 12, 2014
Wyo
I have had two chimney fires over the last 10 years or so, last one was just recently. No issues that I can see but would like some input on how to inspect my system to make sure there are no potential problems in the future. I have a 4" pipe from the stove all the way through an existing triple wall to the cap. What should I be looking for? Do I need to disassemble the 4" and visually inspect? That would be quite a job but doable this summer. The only exposed 4" is from the stove to the ceiling, the rest is encased in the triple wall up to the cap.

Do I have this right you have had a chimney fire in your stove pipe
of a pellet stove ?
This is a first for me . Have never heard of that happening .
All I can say is burn your stove a little hotter and clean the
pipes twice a year .
What brand of pellets do you use ?

Been burning pellets 25 years, same SS lined 3" ID Pel Vent in use whole time (I have new Pel Vent for install this summer) ...
... never a fire.

Gotta wonder what the "fuel" was in those two flue fires? I mean, there ain't nothing left (from combustion) in my flue that you could burn with a torch?

Is there a cap on the flue to prevent birds trying to build a nest, etc? Just wondering ... maybe some dry grass / straw / leaves, etc???

Heartland pellets from Spearfish SD, softwood I am sure, have been burning these for years. This batch did seem to have more sawdust, I am thinking this was at least part to blame. There is a cap and I run a brush periodically, more than twice a year for sure, to make sure no foreign obstructions at the beginning of the season and to clean during the season. This last time we had a stretch of cold bad weather so stove was going consistently more than usual and I was looking for a break in the weather to run the brush but had the fire before I could do it. Ended up on the roof in the dark, cold, snow, wind so "best laid plans", lol.

The big question here is why is there creosote building up in your liner ? Obviously you had a build up and then when the cold weather hit and you had a good hot burn going on ,it ignited the creosote ( ALA wood stove). Usually this is from too cool a burn, not enough air, improper install, lousy settings for the fuel burned or lousy fuel, any of the above leading to cool exhaust temps in general, till the big day when it all goes whoof.

The only exposed 4" is from the stove to the ceiling, the rest is encased in the triple wall up to the cap.
Is that 4" single wall stove pipe or what?