Pipe stuck while cleaning. Will not budge.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
First, long time no see! šŸ˜

Starting sliding up my telescopic pipe off my stove to catch the debris from cleaning and after 3", it stuck and I can't get it to move up or down or side to side. I can't use any more force without fear of bending the pipe or causing damage to the ceiling.

Any suggestions on anything else to try? Obviously I can disconnect the entire pipe from the ceiling mount but don't think I'd have the clearance to get the pipe out.

Reactions: begreen
Get a helper, each of you holds one section, then twist and turn opposite sides while pulling.

Maybe a couple of strap wrenches..

It's probably where the screws are/were.

You could try a pic to pull the deformations back out a wee bit.

You are going to scratch it no matter what, I think. Oh well. That's what paint is for.

I disconnect mine from the ceiling every cleaning. No big deal. Other than a bit of a pain to get the "beauty ring" back on.

Last edited:
Reactions: wendell
Sounds like it may be a straight up pipe. If so and I couldnā€™t get it to move with help and maybe some tapping with a block and hammer while pushing and or twisting I would put a block(s) of wood between the stove flue exit and the pipe and jack up the stove enough to get the clearance you need to get the pipe out. Unless Iā€™m missing something is hard for me hard to picture how the resistance in the pipe would be enough allow the well fastened ceiling support box along with the weight of the chimney to move

Donā€™t know how old the pipe is but if you canā€™t get it well loosened you may want to replace it rather than fight with it.

So what you have is debris caught in between the pipes.. You said that you have enough clearance to get the pipe out.. if this is the case.. take the pipe outside and blow compressed air in between the two pipes.. this will get the gunk out and the pipe should slide easily.. lay the pipe on its side

This has happened a couple times. I ended up just separating the. 2 pieces of single wall. I was physically lifting the chimney up a few inches, lol. If I had to, I wouldnā€™t hesitate to cut the bottom piece off to give me more room to work. Single wall is cheap. There are way to many things to be frustrated with besides the chimney.

Maybe a couple of strap wrenches..

It's probably where the screws are/were.

You could try a pic to pull the deformations back out a wee bit.

You are going to scratch it no matter what, I think. Oh well. That's what paint is for.

I disconnect mine from the ceiling every cleaning. No big deal. Other than a bit of a pain to get the "beauty ring" back on.
My strap wrench is an inch short of reaching around it so went to the hardware store and their largest is the same size I have.

I'm glad you said two. I was going to buy one but two would do the job much better.

The two strap wrenches didn't work. Just started bending the pipe.

If I remove the circled screws, will that disconnect the pipe or does it extend up through that piece?
1000005041.jpg

Hate to even recommend this but.....
Vice-grip on the back edge of the lower section (out of sight). Rubber mallet to vice-grip. Couple thuds. If that won't jar it loose, I dunno!
I've had em stick also. Learned to work the lower up and down gently, gaining a bit as you go until it's far enough. Good luck.

Removing the lowest three screws will allow you to remove the pipe.

Is it on legs or a pedistal?
This may be a little over the top, but a chunk of a 2x8 for a spanner, and a floor jack. Take the stove to the pipe, connect it, then slow bleed it back down. Nevermind. Probably not advisable.

Removing the lowest three screws will allow you to remove the pipe.
The screws I circled or the lowest 3 screws?

The screws you circled appear to be the ones that hold the adapter to the chimney. The ones below that look like the ones that hold the pipe to the adapter. The lower ones are the ones I would remove.

This is DuraVent DVL. Removing the three screws on the adapter collar is ok. There is a stainless sleeve inside the adapter that connects the stove pipe with the chimney pipe. The sleeve has tabs securing it in place. The stove pipe may need a short twist to free the clips.

FWIW, I replaced our old Simpson DVL with a new telescoping length of DuraVent DVL this fall. It was damn snug and took a fair amount of effort to move it.

First, long time no see! šŸ˜

Starting sliding up my telescopic pipe off my stove to catch the debris from cleaning and after 3", it stuck and I can't get it to move up or down or side to side. I can't use any more force without fear of bending the pipe or causing damage to the ceiling.
Having moved the inside telescoping pipe up 3 inches you should be able to drop the pipe after the screws are out.

The screws you circled appear to be the ones that hold the adapter to the chimney. The ones below that look like the ones that hold the pipe to the adapter. The lower ones are the ones I would remove.
I don't have enough clearance to pull the pipe out that way.

This is DuraVent DVL. Removing the three screws on the adapter collar is ok. There is a stainless sleeve inside the adapter that connects the stove pipe with the chimney pipe. The sleeve has tabs securing it in place. The stove pipe may need a short twist to free the clips.

FWIW, I replaced our old Simpson DVL with a new telescoping length of DuraVent DVL this fall. It was damn snug and took a fair amount of effort to move it.
Thanks as always, BG. Sure glad you're still around. šŸ˜

Barely had the clearance to get it out but got it done. Now to get it slide again.

Reactions: bigealta
As an aside now that I can get the bag off, this is what I got from sweeping the chimney after 3 years of burning.

1000005051.jpg

Reactions: bigealta
Looks good!

Looks good!
Thanks!

I only had a tablespoon after the first year so I waited 3 this time. Wondering if I should go for 10 this time. LOL

I got the pieces apart. What would you think of spreading some graphite on the inner piece to help them slide better next time?

It wouldn't hurt if it needs to be slid up everytime for cleaning.

That show would go over poorly today. I want to say it ended around 1960?

Last edited:
I remember Sanford and Son. "Who u callin Dummy Dummy"