Pipe unroller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

E Yoder

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2017
Floyd, VA
Hi y'all,
I just started carrying the Rhinoflex insulated pipe. Similar to Logstor and Thermopex.
I want to build an unroller to make life easier for us all and am looking for ideas. What have you guys used or seen used? It's pretty stiff stuff.

Are you thinking of a small trailer to mount the "spool" on, or...?

Yes, but I'm wondering what kind of unroller have you seen, probably would put it on a trailer.
I saw one that rotated horizontally and was battery operated. Didn't take pics tho. Can't remember if it could be adjusted for different size rolls.

You might take a look at field tile stringer trailers to get a idea on building a smaller version of them. Another one to look at are hose reels for sprayer tender trailers that use a three or four inch hose. Most of them are battery operated.

I will be installing 140' of pipe for an indoor boiler in the near future and have been thinking about handling the 250 pound, 6' plus diameter roll. Does Rhinoflex come on a spool? Can it be rolled out horizontally?

Rhinoflex is from Rovanco.
Rovanco provides for free their "Rhino roller"; it's used with a small crane or backhoe
You just pay the return shipping
For a couple hundreds of feet of PEX it is probably not worth it, but for over thousand feet it is probably worth the return shipping cost. I don't seem to have any pictures.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
Bur here is a YouTube video
Rovanco Rhino Roller - YouTube

This is still small diameter stuff in the video
Once you get into dual 2" PEX and up you cant muscle it any longer; then a crane comes in handly
1.5" dual pex is around 7.5" outside diameter

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
1620602570021.png
1620602507612.png
1620602517771.png