Piping my stove!! Help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brendanschuler

Dec 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Hey all I’m looking for some advice, I am trying to pipe my stove into existing 8” chimney.. looking for ways to vent this thru the 8” opening whether I’d be a 4” to 8” adapter but want to get thru the stove to connect flex liner? Any suggestions? I was thinking this adapter but wondering if a horizontal 4” pipe would slide thru this 4” adapter tight?

Hey all I’m looking for some advice, I am trying to pipe my stove into existing 8” chimney.. looking for ways to vent this thru the 8” opening whether I’d be a 4” to 8” adapter but want to get thru the stove to connect flex liner? Any suggestions? I was thinking this adapter but wondering if a horizontal 4” pipe would slide thru this 4” adapter tight?

0DCB9441-B1B5-4C04-A6EE-DDD029704B65.png

Not sure if you are asking what to do, or if you are saying what you are trying to do and asking if is ok.
That stated, I connected my pellet stove to an already existing Class A 8"chimney. I used an adapter to connect the 4" stove pipe to the Class A chimney.
The adapter i used looks like this:
cLSuzyA.png

The system is called Ventis, from Olympia. I got a great price from "the fireplace and chimney store" online. . a couple of great folks who run that online shop.
So, first question: is your existing 8" chimney not a class A? or why do you mention to run a flex liner? .

Reactions: vinny11950
Sorry for the confusion. My chimney is just a brick with clay brick lined and 8x8 yes... my flu from the hearth goes in 2 feet then heads vertical. I have plenty of draft for sure but I was going to put a similar collar to the one you sent me but was hoping to maybe connect some pipe or flex just to boot it towards the back of the chimney and get the flow going up the back of the chimney a little... idk if I could get away with just the 4x8 collar and that’s all.

Not sure if you are asking what to do, or if you are saying what you are trying to do and asking if is ok.
That stated, I connected my pellet stove to an already existing Class A 8"chimney. I used an adapter to connect the 4" stove pipe to the Class A chimney.
The adapter i used looks like this:
cLSuzyA.png

The system is called Ventis, from Olympia. I got a great price from "the fireplace and chimney store" online. . a couple of great folks who run that online shop.
So, first question: is your existing 8" chimney not a class A? or why do you mention to run a flex liner? .
Does this adapter actually clamp the pellet pipe and the vent liner from the back side?

I see, then we would have a complete different set up. What i used is called an adapter from a 4" pellet pipe to a 8" class A chimney, so that is I guess a bit different than what you need. This is how is set up at my place (the thimble was already there and it was capped, so I got the adapter that allows me to join my pipe stove to the already existing class A chimney):
sC9lUFt.jpg

If you are using your fireplace flue to exhaust the gases from the pipe, i think you have to run a flex pipe through the flue... and depending on your pellet stove brand/model, it might have requirements the diameter of your pipe has to be as it might need to have a long run. Pellet stoves dont use "draft" as the fireplaces, or wood stoves.. they have a combustion blower that pushes air through the burning chamber and out to the venting pipes. I am unsure if is just not recommended or actually a big no no and inspection failure to just dump the gases into the flue and assume it will be able to get out of the chimney (even if you are sealing the connection between the pellet stove pipe and the chimney flue.

That aside, Olympia does have the 4" Pellet to 4" Flex Adapter Part number: VP-FLA04 so i guess that last one might be the one you need to connect your pellet stove pipe to a flex.

All of that stated, and even if you already purchased most of the pipes.. . give them a call, or email them .. they are GREAT responding questions and they even provide me with drawings for me to figure out distances and what to expect so i can buy the correct parts (olympiachimney.com). You cannot buy from them, so you can tell them that before you place an order through a reseller you wanted to know exactly what you needed. If you do decide (and you can shop for prices obviously) to go for the ventis system, i recommend the fireplace-chimneystore.com as they were the ones with the LOWEST price and free shipping. You can place the orders by part number and they in turn will place the order with olympia.

OR, you can just get the knowledge from Olympia and try and search for the similar parts from other systems (they tend to be incompatible between systems).

Good luck, and be safe!

Reactions: vinny11950
Here is a thought not sure if it is right or not you would have to look at the installation manual for your particular stove. How about running the flex vent liner or ridgid it is straight enough all the way up to the top of your existing chimney so that you have a sealed exhaust system going to the outside of your house so in the event of a pressure change inside of the house it doesnt come back in and smoke up the house.