Piping question into Harmon 52i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

52eye

Feb 7, 2020
New York
Straight to the point Question :
Can I cut the PL pipe where it connects to the stove ?

Story:
New owner of a Harmon 52i. I am Installing this stove into a zero clearance box inside of a "closet" (build out wall). I purchased the double wall pellet stove piping need for the install from the chimney store. Turns out one of the pipes originally purchased was not long enough. When I went to return the pipe and get a longer piece I asked if the pipe could be cut and the dealer said no. Surprised I said not even the end that does not have the gasket seal ? They said no due to the way the pipe seals, no. Now
I have done some searches on this forum in regards to cutting the PL pipe and most say it can not be cut . But from my understanding the PL pipe that connects to the stove has to be rtv siliconed to make a proper seal. So if the rtv is what is sealing that end of the pipe to the stove why can it not be cut and sealed? The length of pipe I need is not an even 5ft length to the 90. So I would need to cut it or find a slip pipe.

Any insight is appreciated

Would a telescopic piece work to get you the length needed?
That's the way I went to attach to the class A chimney reducer
Cut the pipe and you have lost the support between the inner
and outer pipe at one end.

If you cut that pipe and install it inside the closet how will you know it doesn't leak? If it leaks and causes a fire and your insurance company spots it your insurance will go out the window. The telescoping pipe is engineered for a shorter then normal length install. Us the telescoping pipe.
Ron

No, and you should be using a harman stove adapter to connect to the insert. Much less likely to leak and that’s what your supposed to use. Want to void your warranty? Deviate in any way from Harmans installation recommendations.

Also, I’m not sure what brand pipe your using but most brands make adjustable. I use only Simpson Duravent pellet vent pro.

Reactions: 52eye
If you cut that pipe and install it inside the closet how will you know it doesn't leak? If it leaks and causes a fire and your insurance company spots it your insurance will go out the window. The telescoping pipe is engineered for a shorter then normal length install. Us the telescoping pipe.
Ron

I plan on installing the stove prior to closing in the build out and testing for leaks one I have the piping installed. I will have to shop around today and find a telescoping length.

If you cut it to length you would not have the male lock end on the pipe? How would you think it would work out and seal?

If you cut it to length you would not have the male lock end on the pipe? How would you think it would work out and seal?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing he is talking about cutting the female end, not the male end? Also, as others have said most manufacturers make an adjustable slip pipe (the inside pipe may be slightly smaller in diameter to allow it to slide inside the normal pipe?), you would have to seal the sliding end once you determine the needed length, just mock it up & mark where it needs to be then use a silicone tape or hi-temp flue tape. If you are asking about the length that connects to the stove (i.e. making a custom length appliance adapter) I wouldn't hesitate to do that; just mimic the factory stove adapter and cut the same way. I say I because that's what I would do; ultimately it's your call.

Reactions: rickwai
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing he is talking about cutting the female end, not the male end? Also, as others have said most manufacturers make an adjustable slip pipe (the inside pipe may be slightly smaller in diameter to allow it to slide inside the normal pipe?), you would have to seal the sliding end once you determine the needed length, just mock it up & mark where it needs to be then use a silicone tape or hi-temp flue tape. If you are asking about the length that connects to the stove (i.e. making a custom length appliance adapter) I wouldn't hesitate to do that; just mimic the factory stove adapter and cut the same way. I say I because that's what I would do; ultimately it's your call.
Yeah Im sure you are correct.