Piping question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John4850

Jan 4, 2018
Dallas
Now that I have installed my piping for my propane gas logs, I’m wondering whether or not it’s up to code. I live outside of any city limits, so I don’t technically need an inspection as far as I know. Still, I want to be safe.

Here is my situation: I have a limestone home and on the patio I have an outdoor fireplace with a metal firebox and metal flu going up through my roof. The fireplace is basically inside the lime stone that is a veneer around the entire home.

To get my gas pipe to the backside of the fireplace where my propane tank will be located, I need to pass through the side & back. View attachment 241917

I have a 12” piece of 1/2” pipe passing through the limestone side of the fireplace enclosure and then a 90° coupler with a 2 foot piece of 1/2” pipe going through the limestone on the backside of the fireplace.

My piping inside the limestone comes no closer than 12” to the sheetmetal back of the fireplace insert.

So, does this meet code?

Also, before I started this project, I had a plumber give me an estimate. His idea was to run 40 foot of pipe across the top of my attic and then down my inside wall which houses my fireplace enclosure to get to my inside fireplace insert. His estimate was $2,000+.

Now that I have installed my piping for my propane gas logs, I’m wondering whether or not it’s up to code. I live outside of any city limits, so I don’t technically need an inspection as far as I know. Still, I want to be safe.

Here is my situation: I have a limestone home and on the patio I have an outdoor fireplace with a metal firebox and metal flu going up through my roof. The fireplace is basically inside the lime stone that is a veneer around the entire home.

To get my gas pipe to the backside of the fireplace where my propane tank will be located, I need to pass through the side & back. View attachment 241917

I have a 12” piece of 1/2” pipe passing through the limestone side of the fireplace enclosure and then a 90° coupler with a 2 foot piece of 1/2” pipe going through the limestone on the backside of the fireplace.

My piping inside the limestone comes no closer than 12” to the sheetmetal back of the fireplace insert.

So, does this meet code?

Also, before I started this project, I had a plumber give me an estimate. His idea was to run 40 foot of pipe across the top of my attic and then down my inside wall which houses my fireplace enclosure to get to my inside fireplace insert. His estimate was $2,000+.

I don't see anything wrong with it, but then again I'm not a pipe fitter.