Pistachios

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcellwood

Nov 2, 2011
Central Maine
Hum...sitting here eating pistachios and wondering how the shells would burn. Might get a couple BTU's out of my shell collection. Expensive fuel source for sure.

Hum...sitting here eating pistachios and wondering how the shells would burn. Might get a couple BTU's out of my shell collection. Expensive fuel source for sure.
The sodium content of the "salted shells" may be almost as high as those 2005-2006 Narraganset pellets that bored holes through burn pots like a drill press!

Think of those salted shells like you would sodium hydroxide. Bad stuff.

Ahhh, I got the no salt ones. I guess you could rinse them and let em dry really well?

Been saving walnut shells too. Yep, Sheer winter boredome

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Just
Ahhh, I got the no salt ones. I guess you could rinse them and let em dry really well?

Been saving walnut shells too. Yep, Sheer winter boredome

Just goes to show you are NUTS after all!!! (just kidding)

been throwing my pistachio shells with my pellets for awhile now. haven't seen any downfall yet. extra btu's are extra btu's in my book!

Reactions: Jay106n
Throw my shells in all the time but only eat unsalted ones
I am NUTS

Probably won't hurt the stove, it's the venting that catches hell. I've seen venting after two seasons have more holes than a Mexican border fence after using some alternative fuels.

I try to keep my nuts away from a hot stove...

Reactions: jtakeman
Status
Not open for further replies.