Planning on replacing my Avalon 900PS with ... something

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

killerfiction

Oct 13, 2019
Pinckney, MI
Hi, friends,

After decades of maintaining/repairing/loving our Avalon 900PS pellet stove, we've decided to replace it with something that is easier to manage. The stove provides most of the heat in the first floor from a room with two 6' open arches and a couple of in-the-wall blower fans to assist on getting the heat out. Some of the heat makes it up the stairwell into the second floor as well (each room has an electric baseboard heating unit).

The stove is against an outside wall; the room is on a slab so I can't get the gas service from the crawl space to the appliance. However, the gas meter is about 30 linear feet from the appliance location, so I will be able to run a service line in a trench along the side of the house and drill through the wall to bring the gas inside.

I'm not decrepit at 67, but I am getting tired of hauling pellets, vacuuming ash, and, mostly, tearing the Avalon apart each year or two to change out motors, bearings, snap disks, etc. , or, worse, waking up in January to a cold house and a quiet pellet stove for no apparent reason. And THEN tearing it apart to figure out why it stopped.

Anyway: Suggestions on replacements with a nice flickering flame and good heat? I would like a thermostatically controlled unit. What is working for you?

Obviously, I don't know what I don't know, but you guys do.

Thanks in advance, partners in heating.

-T

According to the rating plate in the manual, your unit can burn up to 5.0 lbs of pellets per hour.
That is equal to 40K BTU. If that heated your home adequately, that's the size of gas unit I'd look
for. Newer gas units will probably burn more efficiently than your 900, so you'll be warmer, with
a whole lot less work. I would look at the Jotul GF600, for starters. It can be run on a remote thermostat
& is rated at 40K BTU. Also, if you run Black Iron Pipe (BIP) you can lay it on the ground & won't have to bury it.
Good luck with your install.

Last edited:
Hi,

Narrowing down the choices on appliances for this project. I was able to see Lopi units at one dealer near me. Looking at the Lopi Berkshire and the Lopi Cypress GSR2 (a more contemporary design, but not cast iron). This dealer has been around forever, and I know that Lopi has too (I'm replacing an Avalon PS900, after all, and the companies are connected, right?).

Also looking at Vermont Castings Radiance or Stardance models and Heat'n'Glo Tiara I and Tiara II as well.

I have installation consults scheduled and am hoping that I will be able to use the upper part of my existing stack along with co-linear adaptors/venting hoses and new stack pipes inside for cosmetic and practical reasons.

So, my questions: Anyone have experience with any of these manufacturers and models?

Thanks to Bob ahead of time, as it appears that he is The Man on this forum, but anyone else who has anything to add is welcome and thanked, too.

Enjoy your Sunday afternoon, and ... Go Blue!

-Todd

Attachments

• IMG_6480.jpg
    IMG_6480.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6483.jpg
    IMG_6483.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6480.jpg
    IMG_6480.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6479.jpg
    IMG_6479.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 99
I don't think the Stardance or the Tiara I will do what you need heatwise.
The Radiance or the Tiara II would be a better choice...
Anyone of them can be attached to your existing chimney system &
will work & look well in your set up.

Hi, Bob,

Thanks! If I can run one more thing past you: Do you think the Lopi Greenfield (40k BTU) would be another decent choice? One dealer has that to offer, the other dealer has the Vermont/Heat'n'Glo lines.

I have an installer from each company coming next week to take a look and offer their installation estimates. I'm holding your comment about installation in my back pocket and hoping they come in alignment to that, which would indicate to me that they're not fishing for more installation materials and labor than what is truly needed.

Your reply is appreciated and not urgent. Thanks again, friend!

-Todd

I admit that I am not familiar with Lopi gas units, but 40K BTU is 40K BTU,
so if it is a reliable unit, it'll work for you.
Not sure what the installers will tell you, but I'd say even with gas line,
it should take less than 4 hours with a 2-man crew.
You can get an estimate on venting costs, by measuring the height of the interior
venting needed from the stove to the ceiling & checking Simpson Dura Vent components
on line. You will need a DV to Class A adapter with a 4" flexible liner from the ceiling
support to a DV cap...