Planning phase of purchasing an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike S

Oct 10, 2019
Connecticut
Hi everyone,

I am in the research phase (spending a lot of time online) looking for a wood insert. Few rookie questions:

How do you determine if you need a wood insert where the flue exits out the top or the back of the unit?
Can you recommend a wood insert that requires minimal clearance to my wood mantle?
My home is a ranch home with a exterior chimney. Should I only consider a insulated stainless flue insert?

Thank you in advance,
Mike

Insert flue collars are on top of the unit though a few have them angled a bit toward the back of the stove. We need full dimensions of the fireplace and surrounding trim in order to make suggestions. Here are the critical dimensions needed. Can you post a picture of the fireplace too?
Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 8.23.53 AM.png

Last edited:
Insert flue collars are on top of the unit though a few have them angled a bit toward the back of the stove. We need full dimensions of the fireplace and surrounding trim in order to make suggestions. Here are the critical dimensions needed. Can you post a picture of the fireplace too?
View attachment 248943

Thanks. I hope these pictures are helpful. I am most concerned about not having combustible clearance. I have 17 inches of "blue stone: in front of fireplace and about 36 inches from bottom of firebox opening to wood trim on mantle. Thank you in advance. I appreciate the advice

Attachments

• IMG_2607.jpg
    IMG_2607.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2608.jpg
    IMG_2608.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2609.jpg
    IMG_2609.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2611.jpg
    IMG_2611.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 90
It looks like there is plenty of room for options. The main thing to watch will be clearances to the trim and mantel. If you don't want to extend the hearth, then a flush insert is the easiest solution to work with.

How will the insert be run? Nights and weekends or 24/7? Is it in a closed off room or more of an open floor plan? How large an area will it be heating? Is there any particular style that is appealing - contemporary or traditional or not fussy?

It looks like there is plenty of room for options. The main thing to watch will be clearances to the trim and mantel. If you don't want to extend the hearth, then a flush insert is the easiest solution to work with.

How will the insert be run? Nights and weekends or 24/7? Is it in a closed off room or more of an open floor plan? How large an area will it be heating? Is there any particular style that is appealing - contemporary or traditional or not fussy?

We have a 1,200 sq foot ranch w a pretty open floor plan. We are not really fussy when it comes to style. We would just like something more efficient than open fireplace. We burned a lot of wood last year in open fireplace but our clay flue has cracks and we need to install a liner. Seems like doing it together would be best bet. I'm thinking safety first.

The chimney will need a thorough cleaning and then an insulated ss liner installed. Visit some dealers and look at inserts in the 2 cu ft range.

You will need dry firewood for proper operation and the liner should be at least 15 ft tall for most stoves. Some like the Pacific Energy Super or Neo will work on a bit shorter chimney.

The chimney will need a thorough cleaning and then an insulated ss liner installed. Visit some dealers and look at inserts in the 2 cu ft range.

You will need dry firewood for proper operation and the liner should be at least 15 ft tall for most stoves. Some like the Pacific Energy Super or Neo will work on a bit shorter chimney.

Thank you for all the info. Very helpful! quick question: are Flush inserts and "zero clearance" the same thing?

Flush inserts and "zero clearance" the same thing?
No, a ZC is a manufactured firebox which can be installed with no clearance to combustibles..or something like that. ;hm

Welcome to the forums !!!

A piece of advice, for what it's worth :)

Go for the biggest firebox you can fit in that fireplace. You won't regret it :)

You definitely should have a liner that’s insulated. It’s really not that expensive to do it and it’s a good way to weed out bad installers. If they say you don’t need it or don’t have the room for it and thus can’t do it, find other installers.