Plans finally coming together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
9ab758188772ad08b1053e1f92bc1f9a.jpg

Hope to have this finished, mounted, primary loop hooked up, and filled tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No heat exchanger? Or is there one at the boiler?

The heat exchangers will be at each zone. One plate for domestic hot water on the first zone. The second pump will go to the heat exchanger in the plenum for the house then to a 30,000btu hanging heater in the basement. The third when I install that will be a 50,000 btu hanging heater in the garage with a bypass to a 130,000 btu exchanger for the pool. Completely open system.

This is way over built for flow from the outdoor boiler. I had too many exchangers to run in series and have anything left at the end and running two line sets 100 feet would have been less cost effective than one 1 1/4” ID Thermopex with a 26-99 pump for the primary loop and 15-58 pumps on the secondary zones.

Holy copper cave batman!
You must have a fortune in that...and enough soldering hours to be a journeyman plumber! Looks like nice work!

Holy copper cave batman!
You must have a fortune in that...and enough soldering hours to be a journeyman plumber! Looks like nice work!

believe it or not when buying 20’ sticks of type L copper it’s actually only about 30%-50% more over pex. The valves are cheaper, the fittings are actually cheaper for copper than the brass in pex. Sweat valves, unions, and other fixtures are cheaper than pex or FPT with fittings

It was only 2lbs of solder and 3 B tanks of acetylene.

I learned how to sweat pipe when I was 12 or 13 because dad and grandpa couldn’t fit under grandmas bathroom. I had fun.

Nice looking install. I'm sure it will be nice to have all of the mess outside too.

Yeah probably doesn't reflect real well when a FD member burns his house down! ;lol
Of course just getting rid of a certain "fire hazard" would have to help mitigate that risk a lot ...

Reactions: salecker
The number one reason I did this project. I’ll sleep better at night and feel more comfortable when I go to work not worrying About burning down the house.
That's the number one reason my heating system lives in it's own building.
No chance of carbon monoxide poisoning
Volunteer fire department.
And last but not least,no insurance

Reactions: HitzerHillbilly
It’s running, 89 degrees out today with a high of 64 Friday. I am making hot water for the house. Plan on batch burning until it’s needed for heat in the next 2 weeks. I will probably turn AC off Thursday night.