pleasant hearth up and burning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

disamatic

Aug 6, 2014
Gold Bar Washington
Well my first woodstove/chimney install is up and running! Now to finish the hearth. This was a major project as the houses heating and cooling was primarily heat pump. My goal is to save enough through wood burning season to cover the cost of running the air conditioner during summer and keep the house at 67 degrees during summer. I am pretty new to this site but quickly learned there is some very handy folks, thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• 1412522977928.jpg
    1412522977928.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 376
Very nice. Good job.

Reactions: disamatic
ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz on the couch.

Very nice. Good job.
Thank you Bart, i studied all the code and what not. I would have thought with a 1" slab of marble 4'x3' and completing the hearth with river rock and some face boards I would be up to code. After reading and understanding "R" value I pulled the damn stove and put 3 pieces of 1/2" next gen. Durock below. The stove calls for a R rating of 2, that seems overkill, but now it is at 2.10.

Is there another layer of insulation in the hearth? 3 layers of Durock NexGen will have an R= 1.17 value. The marble adds .09 for a total of R=1.26. To save power try keeping the house at 72-75 in the summer. 67F is chilly.

I am still itching to borrow a heat gun from work and head up in the attic, my least clearance to combustible as far as when the chimney enters the attic is 3 1/8", in my mind that still seems like not enough, but I guess you have to take into consideration the first wall, the packing in between, and the next wall. It is amazing how quick the flue temp.drops moving the gauge another 18" up.

Is there another layer of insulation in the hearth? 3 layers of Durock NexGen will have an R= 1.17 value. The marble adds .09 for a total of R=1.26. To save power try keeping the house at 72-75 in the summer. 67F is chilly.
72 degrees is to hot for me. I do plant maintenance at a ductile iron foundry, in house temp will hit over 120 degrees. I like it cool when I come home.it is worth it to us.

Is there another layer of insulation like micore in the hearth?

Is there another layer of insulation like micore in the hearth?
As you are correct sir, 1.26 it is, guess I have some changes to make. This is crazy, the marble does not even get hot. I guess code is code, still enjoying the fire though.:ZZZ

Looking good sir! Very cozy looking

As you are correct sir, 1.26 it is, guess I have some changes to make. This is crazy, the marble does not even get hot.

Let me check. Which model Pleasant Hearth is this?

Let me check. Which model Pleasant Hearth is this?
It is the 1800sf. Model, and the directions to my knowledge say 2.0R value. It is a LWS-127201. Thanks for the help. Yep very cozy.

Hmm, it sounds like your are ok. My copy of that manual says that for the hearth:

Unit must be placed on a noncombustible floor protection equivalent to 1” millboard. Floor protector must have min. R value of .893. Consult your local building authorities for further information.

What temp is the house inside now?

[quot="begreen, post: 1775742, member: 5"]Hmm, it sounds like your are ok. My copy of that manual says that for the hearth:

Unit must be placed on a noncombustible floor protection equivalent to 1” millboard. Floor protector must have min. R value of .893. Consult your local building authorities for further information.

What temp is the house inside now?[/quote]
Well i can't be exact now cause we had to crack the Windows, it got to eighty before hand though.

I have tried to take a lot of pride in this install, being my first, I am open to all positive criticism and advice to make it safer. Thanks begreen and any others that wish to share there thoughts.:ZZZ

Well i can't be exact now cause we had to crack the Windows, it got to eighty before hand though.
From what I can tell your hearth exceeds requirements. That's a good thing.
LOL, but 67F in the summer. ;lol

From what I can tell your hearth exceeds requirements. That's a good thing.
LOL, but 67F in the summer. ;lol
So i am confused, is my hearth up to spec?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.3 KB · Views: 237
So i am confused, is my hearth up to spec?

I guess i am mainly confused as to if the 1" marble and the 3 pieces of 1/2" next gen. durock are acceptable? Maybe a call is due to GHP group is in order?

We're both confused. The quote I posted was from page 3 of the manual that covers Pleasant Hearth Medium stoves. Where is your spec from?

Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 10.12.57 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 10.13.14 AM.png

My manual copy is dated Nov. 2011. Could be they changed it but R=2.0 sounds very conservative, especially with what you are reporting. Want my copy? ;)
I was directly on the GHP group site, under medium wood burning stove with legs, there is a PDF manual. Grrrr, thanks for trying to help Begreen!
Now you really have me confused. I just went to GHP's website and they say ember protection only for the small and medium Pleasant Hearth stoves and R= 1.19 for their large stove.
EDIT: Nevermind. Although that is what they say on the clearances section of their website, the manual later on goes into the hearth insulation requirements. This doc seems like it was written in India. How on earth did the hearth requirement for the same stove double overnight?

Last edited:
I've written GHP customer service to see if this is a doc error. If not, based on the new hearth requirements I would recommend folks look for similar stoves with just an ember protection only hearth like the PE TN19.

Status
Not open for further replies.