please Compare ms441 vs 044 vs 045A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

m67tang

Feb 11, 2014
im looking for a larger saw than my ms310. I’m a Stihl guy so far in life and firewood. I’ve used larger saws before like the 044, but not owned my own. Largest more regular experience is with ms361 of my Dad’s.
Can someone here with knowledge please share the differences of an 044, ms441, 045A. And I know the years of make are different. I’m interested in horsepower and weight. Parts availability. Bar length options.

Thanks in advance

I have a 441 and a 362cm. I would suggest you look at the 362 for firewood cutting. The 441 has a lot better vibration system but, it’s a lot heavier. I think the 362 has about the best power to weight ratio of any saw.

I have a 441 and a 362cm. I would suggest you look at the 362 for firewood cutting. The 441 has a lot better vibration system but, it’s a lot heavier. I think the 362 has about the best power to weight ratio of any saw.
I'm not knocking what you say about the 362 being a good firewood cutter's saw. But I do take issue with the power to weight ratio comment, as it's not even close to being correct. I doubt the 362 is even in the top half dozen of Stihl saws, with respect to power weight ratio, let alone considering other manufacturers.

The MS362 C-M runs 0.58 to 0.63 kW/kg, depending on handle configuration. I just picked one of the saws I own at random, and found the Stihl 064 AV runs 0.68 kW/kg. That's up to 17% better than the MS362.

Since I had the 064/066 manual in front of me, I ran the numbers for the 066, and it matches the 064 at 0.68 kW/kg (albeit with more kW's and more kg's)

Maybe you meant to say the MS 362 has the worst power to weight ratio of any Stihl saw?

I also own a 036 Pro, the predecessor to that MS362. But unlike your relationship with your 441 and 362, I find I always favor the 064, and almost never use the 036. The 036 is not that much lighter, but it has a whole lot less power than the 064. I personally rarely carry my saws far enough for the difference in weight to matter, even for this middle-aged desk jockey, I'd go for more HP anyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazzberry
I appreciate the input. I’d like to stick with a comparison of the 044, 045av and 441. Those are some I have option to purchase immediately.

If the mentioned ms362cm is close to a ms361 then I know it’s not gonna do the job I need.

Thanks

I'm not knocking what you say about the 362 being a good firewood cutter's saw. But I do take issue with the power to weight ratio comment, as it's not even close to being correct. I doubt the 362 is even in the top half dozen of Stihl saws, with respect to power weight ratio, let alone considering other manufacturers.

The MS362 C-M runs 0.58 to 0.63 kW/kg, depending on handle configuration. I just picked one of the saws I own at random, and found the Stihl 064 AV runs 0.68 kW/kg. That's up to 17% better than the MS362.

Since I had the 064/066 manual in front of me, I ran the numbers for the 066, and it matches the 064 at 0.68 kW/kg (albeit with more kW's and more kg's)

Maybe you meant to say the MS 362 has the worst power to weight ratio of any Stihl saw?

I also own a 036 Pro, the predecessor to that MS362. But unlike your relationship with your 441 and 362, I find I always favor the 064, and almost never use the 036. The 036 is not that much lighter, but it has a whole lot less power than the 064. I personally rarely carry my saws far enough for the difference in weight to matter, even for this middle-aged desk jockey, I'd go for more HP anyday.

And, that 064 is almost three pounds lighter than a new 661 today I believe.

@m76tang if you are going to buy used find a pre M-Tronic 441. Their are tons of parts available and it is an awesome saw. Best vibration control of any I own and use. Perfect for a 24” bar and the weight is not horrible. If your buying new skip it and wait for the 462. Supposed to be about as light as a 441 with the power of a 461.

In 18” and smaller I will put the 362 against any other pro saw. Lighter and easier to handle all day.

Reactions: Ashful
Out of the three you have posted pick the 044
There have been problems with the 441 that a lot of people post about,not sure exactly what they are,that model is one i don't have and in no rush to get.
The 045 is an older saw,even older than the 044.
Not to many people ever complain about their 044's,i have 3 one mint red lever,one stock 10mm and one with electric heat and a 046 top end.
Seeing that the 044 has been around for a while do a good job when you do your inspection.Check the piston for scoring,take the bar and chain off and then see if there is any up/down play in the crank bearings.See if you can find any identifying marks on the cylinder,there are so many aftermarket pistons and cylinders that you want to make sure that you have a OEM cylinder at least.
The one i have with electric heat came to me needing bearings,and it had some aftermarket parts like the cylinder,recoil.Once those were pointed out i got it for the price of the heated handlebars.
The 044 platform has a huge following of loyal users.The 441 was supposed to replace it but has come up short from what i have read.
Lots of parts available for the 044,not that you will need any;).And any lenght bar you want.

I'm with salecker on this. Go with the 044 provided it's in good shape. 441 2nd.

Reactions: Jazzberry
I have a 440 Mag with a 25” Forrester bar & it’s a bit nose heavy, I am going to invest in a Sugi Hara lightweight bar to help balance it out. I hope that helps you with balance. H&L Supply has Meteor piston & cylinder kits on sale $124 - $138 if you can get something fit the right price that needs rebuilt.i can’t complain about the power weight ratio on it but that’s just my opinion.

Big saws never balance, when mounted with a bar that hits their sweet spot, so I wouldn’t worry much about that. If you want balance, stay under 75cc’s.

There are a couple of interesting threads over on the arboristsite about Stihl power weight ratio also you may want to check out if you are not getting the info you want here. Brochures & manuals give all that info but real world use provides the best proof & I have found that most folks here (as in previous posts) are pretty good about providing that type of info but sometimes opinions start to override a conversation & it becomes a lot like the so called news today Left or Right some facts a lot of opinion & bs leaving you to try & sort it out. If you have access to your three preferred saws then maybe run them in a side-comparison. Then also look up quality/service problems with said saw. I believe there was a thread on here about the 441 but it may have been 461. It’s all about the homework & personal preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Before you commit to a Stihl also try out a Husqvarna. Stihl's are really popular out here in the NW and after buying one as my first saw I assumed I would just keep buying Stihl saws. My neighbor who is an old timer from northern CA was big into Husqvarna's (apparently more popular there) and kind of sold me on them, so I ended up with a 365 Special.

I haven't tried the bigger Stihl saws but so far have been really impressed with my 365 Special. In addition to just dominating firewood (mostly pine here so not much of a challenge) its easy to maintain and repair if needed.

I have a 441 with 24in bar. It cuts good. Have had a couple problems. Blew the spark plug out. Fixed that with a timer. Just put a new coil on it. Just have to run it and retune it. I will be selling it. Got a steal of s deal on a jonsered 2172.

Heard of several problems with the electric fuel injection on the 441 but never ran one. I have run a 044 and it is a sweet saw. Also never heard anything bad regarding a 044 which is one my all time favorites. Forget the 045.

Heard of several problems with the auto tune on the 441 but never ran one. I have run a 044 and it is a sweet saw. Also never heard anything bad regarding a 044 which is one my all time favorites. Forget the 045.