Please help,Anybody know what this Red Clay is.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
TY bholler ,fellow Pennsylvanian, for your input however,$'s very tight and a new stove's not in the budget.
I'm thinking on trying Mr. Dan's EDTA acid etch to remove the red oxide then, coat with high temp paint.Then maybe applying a thin layer of high temp. furnace cement over that ? Your thoughts?
I really enjoy the Top-Load of this Harman and it was suggested by Mr. Dan Hechler that the Jotul or Quadrafire top-load woodstoves were more forgiving(Overfire internal damage) but,for now I shall attempt to salvage what I have and save up for a stronger model.
Yeah no need to do anything fancy just a wire brush will work fine. What condition is the combustion chamber in behind there?

Hello Mr. J.P. would you be able to suggest where I'm able to acquire some of this EDTA acid etch,a mf.,if it's available to the public? I've worked with acids in the past like Muriatic(swimming pool)Hydo fluoric or hydocdhloric(Glassware etching of thermometers)? My thoughts are to try and contact the Chemistry dept. at my local community college and see if they be of any assistance? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated ?
The furnace cement wont stick well anyway. It will adhere fine to start with but as soon as it is heated the difference in expansion rates will destroy that bond.

Hello Mr. J.P. would you be able to suggest where I'm able to acquire some of this EDTA acid etch,a mf.,if it's available to the public? I've worked with acids in the past like Muriatic(swimming pool)Hydo fluoric or hydocdhloric(Glassware etching of thermometers)? My thoughts are to try and contact the Chemistry dept. at my local community college and see if they be of any assistance? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated ?

If the substance is dry and not gummy, I would agree with @begreen to wire brush it.

Just wirebrush the parts. No need to paint. How much do you expect the total cost of repair will be?
Well, "B" a new part's anywhere from $450-$475 + ship to PA so, I'd imagine it wouldn't even come close to that ?
I purchased a 3/4" Thick x 12" wide x 12" long piece of calcium silicate creamic fiber board(1700 deg. F ) from Grainger and a tub of Hercules furnace cement for $26.50 shipped. My thought's to have this ceramic board cut down using a diamond cutting blade/saw,fit it into this weldment and,then seal it in tight using the high heat furnace cement.

Well, "B" a new part's anywhere from $450-$475 + ship to PA so, I'd imagine it wouldn't even come close to that ?
I purchased a 3/4" Thick x 12" wide x 12" long piece of calcium silicate creamic fiber board(1700 deg. F ) from Grainger and a tub of Hercules furnace cement for $26.50 shipped. My thought's to have this ceramic board cut down using a diamond cutting blade/saw,fit it into this weldment and,then seal it in tight using the high heat furnace cement.
The parts are made in pa.

Have you checked Craigslist to look for a decent used stove?

Have you checked Craigslist to look for a decent used stove?
Alas,No I have not,money's tight,and this stove's kept my 1375 Sq.ft. rancher warm from early Nov.2017 to mid Feb.2018 thus far. I only burned an 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank(35-65 gal. approx.) of #2 Heating oil and have kept the house thermostat range from 55-60 deg. F, without using the furnace even when it was single digits outside. So I'm inclined seeing the fire wood's free(dead fallen) here on my property to work hard, forage and try to stay the course and keep saving money.

Alas,No I have not,money's tight,and this stove's kept my 1375 Sq.ft. rancher warm from early Nov.2017 to mid Feb.2018 thus far. I only burned an 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank(35-65 gal. approx.) of #2 Heating oil and have kept the house thermostat range from 55-60 deg. F, without using the furnace even when it was single digits outside. So I'm inclined seeing the fire wood's free(dead fallen) here on my property to work hard, forage and try to stay the course and keep saving money.

Why I asked, it might be cheaper to find a good used stove than putting a lot of money into the repair.

Yeah no need to do anything fancy just a wire brush will work fine. What condition is the combustion chamber in behind there?
Honestly,after redoing this whole stove replacing ALL gaskets,acquiring a used weldment off Craigslist,new ceramic afterburner-which I ruined so I'm going back to my original,seems to be in fairly good shape,intact and not crumbly, rebolting the damper that the stock clips stopped holding(Became dislodged in flue),so I fabricated wider thicker steel ones ,drilled,tapped,added SSL bolts and nut.The Damper frame was threaded all the way thru so I got rid of the stock short bolts.The firebricks are all intact,the ceramic insulation panels are ok behind the bricks too.
When I acquired the used Aft. burner Hood weldment I had a welder sweat out all the moisture on this cast iron piece and add a couple SSL tabs at 3/4" instead of the 1/2" from factory.The local Harman dealer said they won't hold however,thus far they're solid as a rock ! My local Harman dealer(Wind Gap,PA) came up with some very unreasonable marked up quotes on replacement parts and via Google I was able to ascertain that they in fact get there's from a Lancaster,PA Harman dealer as I spoke with the man on the phone who confirmed how much they were overcharging . Well I may not get this Harman top-load operational again which is not good seeing that as of Feb.26,2018-Mar.26,2018 my furnace has burned approx. 125 gal. of #2 oil and I keep my rancher's house thermostat in range of 57-65 deg. F. So I'd like to find another wood stove in the future, preferably a top load maybe a side load like Jotul or Quadrafire ?

Sparticus, regarding potential for overfire and the other info you got -- mentioning the superior re-burn technology of some other brands of stoves -- it has been observed by some Harman owners that this "downdraft" burn technology does sometimes result in the stove burning too hot in the re-burn chamber.

Not sure how this might apply to your particular model, as not many owners have discussed that model on the forums, but a few Oakwood owners did experience overfire temps in the rear of the stove that could not easily be controlled. (Even worse experiences with this burn technology were had by owners of the Lopi Leyden and certain Vermont Casting models, who on occasion referred to the stoves "going nuclear.")

I would hesitate to sink too much money into this stove, though I do appreciate how nice the top-load feature is, and how well the stove heats when working well. Even at its best it probably uses a bit more wood than other technologies to give the same amount of effective heat into the house, since the most efficient re-burn mode requires higher sustained temps to light off than in either the burn-tube stoves or the catalytic stoves.

Sparticus, regarding potential for overfire and the other info you got -- mentioning the superior re-burn technology of some other brands of stoves -- it has been observed by some Harman owners that this "downdraft" burn technology does sometimes result in the stove burning too hot in the re-burn chamber.

Not sure how this might apply to your particular model, as not many owners have discussed that model on the forums, but a few Oakwood owners did experience overfire temps in the rear of the stove that could not easily be controlled. (Even worse experiences with this burn technology were had by owners of the Lopi Leyden and certain Vermont Casting models, who on occasion referred to the stoves "going nuclear.")

I would hesitate to sink too much money into this stove, though I do appreciate how nice the top-load feature is, and how well the stove heats when working well. Even at its best it probably uses a bit more wood than other technologies to give the same amount of effective heat into the house, since the most efficient re-burn mode requires higher sustained temps to light off than in either the burn-tube stoves or the catalytic stoves.
Honestly,this Harman TL200's my 1st catalytic style wood stove,(Purchased on CL in 2016.I bought my house,settled,and moved in Aug. 2015 and discovered that previous owner's had a 6" Hart & Cooley HT stove stack installed all the way to lower level which is nice as I'm able to brush it from the roof using a 6" SSL wire brush attached to an aircraft cable using a 2" receiver ball as weight by myself. The furnace guy who came and serviced my furnace said it was not real dirty, seemed hardly used and if it weren't for frozen pin hole in the boiler(Pipes froze during vacancy) that he suspected that previous owner's heated via wood or pellet stove ?

Honestly,after redoing this whole stove replacing ALL gaskets,acquiring a used weldment off Craigslist,new ceramic afterburner-which I ruined so I'm going back to my original,seems to be in fairly good shape,intact and not crumbly, rebolting the damper that the stock clips stopped holding(Became dislodged in flue),so I fabricated wider thicker steel ones ,drilled,tapped,added SSL bolts and nut.The Damper frame was threaded all the way thru so I got rid of the stock short bolts.The firebricks are all intact,the ceramic insulation panels are ok behind the bricks too.
When I acquired the used Aft. burner Hood weldment I had a welder sweat out all the moisture on this cast iron piece and add a couple SSL tabs at 3/4" instead of the 1/2" from factory.The local Harman dealer said they won't hold however,thus far they're solid as a rock ! My local Harman dealer(Wind Gap,PA) came up with some very unreasonable marked up quotes on replacement parts and via Google I was able to ascertain that they in fact get there's from a Lancaster,PA Harman dealer as I spoke with the man on the phone who confirmed how much they were overcharging . Well I may not get this Harman top-load operational again which is not good seeing that as of Feb.26,2018-Mar.26,2018 my furnace has burned approx. 125 gal. of #2 oil and I keep my rancher's house thermostat in range of 57-65 deg. F. So I'd like to find another wood stove in the future, preferably a top load maybe a side load like Jotul or Quadrafire ?
If they are getting their parts from another dealer rather than harman i would not deal with them at all. There are only 2 reasons to do that. Either they were never an official harmsn dealer. Or harman pulled their dealership. Either way i would not deal with them.

Honestly,this Harman TL200's my 1st catalytic style wood stove,(Purchased on CL in 2016.I bought my house,settled,and moved in Aug. 2015 and discovered that previous owner's had a 6" Hart & Cooley HT stove stack installed all the way to lower level which is nice as I'm able to brush it from the roof using a 6" SSL wire brush attached to an aircraft cable using a 2" receiver ball as weight by myself. The furnace guy who came and serviced my furnace said it was not real dirty, seemed hardly used and if it weren't for frozen pin hole in the boiler(Pipes froze during vacancy) that he suspected that previous owner's heated via wood or pellet stove ?
That stove is not a catalytic stove. It is a down draft secondary combustion stove.

That stove is not a catalytic stove. It is a down draft secondary combustion stove.
Ty for informing me on TL200 being a down draft,not a catalytic type wood stove.
Ya know,I believe that the local Harman dealer may have been acquiring parts from the other PA Harman dealer to fill an order however,they certainly marked up and overinflated the prices they charge. This is why I'm hesitant to visit a dealer and would like to obtain knowledge here on Hearth of actual stove owner's. you've listed a Regency F3100 which is a large BTU stove,do you like it,may I ask the price ? I'd like to keep my 1375 Sq. Ft. rancher warm w/o going broke buying #2 oil. You're a chimney sweeper,right. would you be able to suggest wood stove brands,models,that would be efficient at burning "Free" wood for my home ? I'm not going to a pellet stove as cutting,chopping,working hard(keeps me busy & in shape) at foraging free wood suits me just fine and the hassle of going out and buying a full skid of pellets,hauling in my P/U,unloading just is not what's my style. You say that Harman's are made in PA,where, however,only dealer's are able to sell their replacement parts at drastic mark-ups and the discrepancies are apparent as a Google search will attest the truth!

Ty for informing me on TL200 being a down draft,not a catalytic type wood stove.
Ya know,I believe that the local Harman dealer may have been acquiring parts from the other PA Harman dealer to fill an order however,they certainly marked up and overinflated the prices they charge. This is why I'm hesitant to visit a dealer and would like to obtain knowledge here on Hearth of actual stove owner's. you've listed a Regency F3100 which is a large BTU stove,do you like it,may I ask the price ? I'd like to keep my 1375 Sq. Ft. rancher warm w/o going broke buying #2 oil. You're a chimney sweeper,right. would you be able to suggest wood stove brands,models,that would be efficient at burning "Free" wood for my home ? I'm not going to a pellet stove as cutting,chopping,working hard(keeps me busy & in shape) at foraging free wood suits me just fine and the hassle of going out and buying a full skid of pellets,hauling in my P/U,unloading just is not what's my style. You say that Harman's are made in PA,where, however,only dealer's are able to sell their replacement parts at drastic mark-ups and the discrepancies are apparent as a Google search will attest the truth!
Harmans are made in halifax. Yes I like my regency. I got it when I was at my old house that needed allot more btus. If I were to buy for this house a much more modern ranch I would get a cat stove for longer lower burns. But it still works well. They are in the $2500 range depending on options.

As far as brands there are many out there and most are good. I would avoid harmans and Vermont castings because they are overly complicated and expensive to maintain. I would avoid us stove works products because of low quality but otherwise most are pretty good. About the best budget stoves out there are Englanders with their big one being the nc30 They can be had for around $1000 give or take some depending on the time of year.

Reactions: Diabel
Harmans are made in halifax. Yes I like my regency. I got it when I was at my old house that needed allot more btus. If I were to buy for this house a much more modern ranch I would get a cat stove for longer lower burns. But it still works well. They are in the $2500 range depending on options.

As far as brands there are many out there and most are good. I would avoid harmans and Vermont castings because they are overly complicated and expensive to maintain. I would avoid us stove works products because of low quality but otherwise most are pretty good. About the best budget stoves out there are Englanders with their big one being the nc30 They can be had for around $1000 give or take some depending on the time of year.
TY sir for your help and for sharing your knowledge,I am grateful !
Seems to me that nowadays everything's made in China,the downfall of the great USA, ? I was just checking out Vogelzangs on Northerntool however haven't checked to see where they're made/reviews,etc. Also it would appear that many wood stove choices are strictly dealer only and it would be fantastic to buy a quality wood stove at wholesale costs ? Has anyone on this Hearth site compiled a list of wood stoves such as technological designs ie., catalytic vs. non catalytic,burner tube,down draft styles,make,model,Mfr, country of origin,firebox size,BTU's for sq. ft.,etc dealer(retail) or wholesale pricing and reviews ? I'd be much obliged to be able to read unbiased viewpoints especially from wood stove owner's in colder winter states or Canada and learn how they're ALL staying warm ? Damn the single digits temps were a struggle and I burnt up close to 2-3 cords of wood from late Nov. 2017-mid Feb. 2018.

TY sir for your help and for sharing your knowledge,I am grateful !
Seems to me that nowadays everything's made in China,the downfall of the great USA, ? I was just checking out Vogelzangs on Northerntool however haven't checked to see where they're made/reviews,etc. Also it would appear that many wood stove choices are strictly dealer only and it would be fantastic to buy a quality wood stove at wholesale costs ? Has anyone on this Hearth site compiled a list of wood stoves such as technological designs ie., catalytic vs. non catalytic,burner tube,down draft styles,make,model,Mfr, country of origin,firebox size,BTU's for sq. ft.,etc dealer(retail) or wholesale pricing and reviews ? I'd be much obliged to be able to read unbiased viewpoints especially from wood stove owner's in colder winter states or Canada and learn how they're ALL staying warm ? Damn the single digits temps were a struggle and I burnt up close to 2-3 cords of wood from late Nov. 2017-mid Feb. 2018.
Very few come from china. Us stove company who makes vogelzang is one of the few that imports from china. Most of the stoves sold here are manufactured in north america. Regency and sbi are 2 big ones from canada. Most others are made in the us with a few european companies. Do some research here there is allot of info on most stoves on the market.

Very few come from china. Us stove company who makes vogelzang is one of the few that imports from china. Most of the stoves sold here are manufactured in north america. Regency and sbi are 2 big ones from canada. Most others are made in the us with a few european companies. Do some research here there is allot of info on most stoves on the market.
Thanks again.Did you read my answer to your ? in re bout my TL200's internals,I'm guessing you were referring to the ceramic aftr.burner ?
For now though,I'm gonna attempt to refab this Harman and bring her back to life. Hey quick ? about a piece of steel I wish to use to replace the broken glass of the viewing port in the Aft. Brn. Weldment-I purchased a 3/16" thick flat bar x 1 1/2" W. x 36" L, and have cut a piece to fit ,Harman asks $62+ for it so,I'm gonna fab. my own and use it like theirs however,should I paint it with high heat primer and paint too ? Thnx!

Thanks again.Did you read my answer to your ? in re bout my TL200's internals,I'm guessing you were referring to the ceramic aftr.burner ?
For now though,I'm gonna attempt to refab this Harman and bring her back to life. Hey quick ? about a piece of steel I wish to use to replace the broken glass of the viewing port in the Aft. Brn. Weldment-I purchased a 3/16" thick flat bar x 1 1/2" W. x 36" L, and have cut a piece to fit ,Harman asks $62+ for it so,I'm gonna fab. my own and use it like theirs however,should I paint it with high heat primer and paint too ? Thnx!
No reason to paint any of the internals the paint will be gone after a fire or 2.

And yeah i read your response. It might work ok.

So where are you " BH" near Harrisburg,PA or closer to Pittsburgh,PA ? I'm close to Allentown,PA.
Right between harrisburg and Williamsport

Here's a used osburn near you. He's asking $250 but I get stuff for less than half of the asking price on Craigslist all the time. (I've found the best way is not to make them say yes or no right away; make an offer and tell them to let you know if nobody offers more.)

Lots of people in that area seem to think cruddy old smoke dragons are worth more than their scrap value; watch out for that.

Also near you (I am not suggesting that anyone buy this as a heater), but how cool is this?

SmartSelectImage_2018-03-28-10-55-39.png

Last edited by a moderator: