Please Help Identify this Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MVRuss

Brand new to this forum but after looking around a bit I recognize the collective knowledge on this board! Maybe someone can answer this two-part question for me.
  • First, what brand / model wood stove is this (it has zero markings that we could find). I am guessing that it would be from the early to mid 1980's.
  • Secondly, where is the best place to get doors? The others were taken for scrap by vandals / druggies from a property my kids are purchasing. Stove looks to be in magnificent condition, but I have no idea what it is other than it kind of looked like old Kodiaks or even Schaffers that I saw.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks from MVRuss in the Missouri Ozarks.
IMG_20210708_141228544_HDR.jpgIMG_20210629_075955106.jpg

I think this is a Schrader?

Last edited:
I read they are not very efficient (pre-epa) and that the doors tend to warp. Some folks use it with a fireplace screen, i.e. doors off or open. This all indicates that you'll likely be better off getting another stove.

Doors will be hard or impossible to find.

An old Schrader is a good guess. Here is a picture of one off the interwebs.
r_74-1.jpg

Although it's a tank, it is not an efficient stove. I would pull it out and scrap it. The family would get a much safer and more enjoyable experience with a modern stove and they would get to enjoy a nice view of the fire.

Thanks guys, I had said I thought it was a Schaffer (I meant Schrader --- I got the stove confused with the one beer to have when you're having more than one). They will be heating the house --- it is a colossus (30 foot ceilings in the room with the stove) --- with an outdoor boiler. They have no money to spend on an efficient EPA-approved stove right now and frankly do not need it. Not sure what they will do with it but thanks for the help!!

Hope they have a lot of wood already on split and stacked for the outdoor boiler. That sounds more like a barn than a house.

Reactions: stoveliker