Q&A Please Help Me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just bought a cottage in northern Wisconsin, a 30 year dream realized. Next spring I plan to start a fieldstone fireplace. Boy, will I need advice then! But for now , here is my story. This afternoon I purchased something called a GreenBriar Woodstove (shaped like a big eye with a glass door) It is a rolled steel stove with firebrick lining in good shape and came with 12feet of zero clearance chimney a roof sleeve and bird/spark stop cap, a neat book, and a giant brush. 250$ Will this work in my 20 by 30 cottage? With a 4 in 12 pitch do I have everything I need for a corner, short side of the roof installation? How far from the walls? It has a set of double fins on the back, does that allow me to be closer? Straight up, or through the wall and up? My four sections of three foot pipe are stainless on the outside and appear to be insulated between the stovepipe. Underneath? It has a rather small base, but I should make a large brick, or tile base, yes?Please Help Me, thank you, Also, is this chimney really good enough to pass through my ceiling with zero clearance?? Dewey

Answer:

I'm concerned about the chimney, but first lets mention the stove. Unless the stove has a manual or label which states the clearance, then you must use the 36" specified by NFPA (National Fire Protection Association). The base under the stove should extend 12" around the sides and rear and 16" in front of the front door. Now, to he chimney. Most class "A" chimney has a clearance of 2" from the pipe to combustibles. This clearance is maintained by specially designed fittings such as ceiling supports and flashings. You MUST have all of these fittings to properly install a chimney. If you do not have them, and the manual - do not attempt to install the chimney. Most pipe hasd a label which identifies the manufacturer. You may even be able to get the fittings you need. The chimney usually starts at the ceiling - black pipe is used to connect the stove to the chimney. You'll find a lot of other hints at https://www.hearth.com/what/installstove.html

Link: Installing a Wood Stove

Status
Not open for further replies.