please help which insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwit

Jan 2, 2010
long island
I'm in the market for a wood burning insert. 1800 sq 3 bedroom ranch. Existing fireplace at one end of the house. 11' cathedral ceilings. I am seriously looking at the Hearthstone Clydesdale,but I see on Northern tools a Drolet for 1/4 the price. Does the Clydesdale make long term sense. Thank you, Ken

As you've noticed, there is a wide range in prices, style and quality of stoves and inserts. The Clydesdale is on the high-end, the Drolet is on the low end as far as costs go, but in general SBI seems to make decent value units from reports we get here.

To help we could use some information about the size of the room the insert will be in and how open this room is to the rest of the house. We also could use the H, W and D of the fireplace opening. Is this a masonry unit or a metal prefab?

A floor plan would be helpful, too. Rough is OK.

There are locals to help :)

Welcome to the forums !!

Thank you, for answering. It's a prefab 42'' wide 23'' tall. Open floor plan Living room, dining room, kitchen. 3 bedrooms down a single hall 8' ceilings bedrooms and kitchen

In between the Drolet and the Clydesdale would be a Regency i2400, Pacific Energy Super, Quadrafire 3100i.

With the cathedral ceilings, I would think that your square footage will actually be a "bigger" 1800 sq feet than if it had average ceilings. Therefore you probably need to get an insert capable of heating more than that square footage. The Clydesdale has one of the biggest fireboxes for an insert if I am not mistaken, which would be what you probably want to shoot for? I doubt that Drolet makes an insert with a 3' firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.