Please identify this Vermont Castings super cheap.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wowser

Nov 12, 2011
southern california
I have a chance to get this Vermont Castings for cheap. I can't seem to find any info on it. Can you tell me the model and if it's a cat stove?

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 497
Is it definitely a VC wood stove? There should be an identification badge on the back. I've never seen a VC like this.

Looks like a Madison. Side loading door, and its a epa upper air tube burning stove. Liked the one I used to have.

Looks like a Madison. Side loading door, and its a epa upper air tube burning stove. Liked the one I used to have.

Sounds like you're right. I did a quick Google Image search and saw it. It's a non cat stove, but does have secondary combustion as Mike said.

thanks everyone, that seems to be the one! Will be picking it up Wednesday!

I'd give that stove a good looking over if it sat outside for any length of time, which from the photo it looks like it has. Though, I realize you have a much drier climate than we do here in the northeast and it's probably fine. Things to look for would be excessive rust and issues with joints where the cast pieces were bonded together.

There is a reason it is so cheap.

It looks like it is sitting out in the garden, legs missing, sitting in the dirt. It looks like it has been sitting there for years, rusting away. You better give this stove a real good looking over.

legs are in the dirt. Is $50 cheap enough?

Yes, for $50 I'd be interested. If you don't mind taking a bit of a risk and putting in some work and paint on the stove it could be a decent buy. At that price you don't have much to lose as long as you don't have to sink hundreds into it to make it safe and working. Check out its interior and controls operation to make sure they are operable and not frozen. Investigate carefully for any cracks. If the body is sound I say go for it.

This could be the deal of the century. These things are beautiful and VC is a really well made, expensive brand. Here's the potential:

VC used to be a well made brand, used to be, being the key words.

It's a basic tube stove. No refractory. VC still makes great castings. With a standard tube config in it the stove should last a long time.

Last edited:
picked the beast up yesterday. It was pretty complete. Legs were in the dirt but fine, glass perfect, no warping or cracks, firebricks there and in great shape. Lots of surface rust and the removable handle is missing. I took the top off and removed as much as could to move this 400 pound behemoth. Learned these stoves are sealed up with cement so will have to reseal after restoring this beaut. I am excited to get her restored and running. I don't think this owner knew what she had. It's worth way more than $50!

Good deal. You stole that stove. Wirebrush it down. A brush wheel on a drill will help speed up the process. Then vacuum all dust, wipe down with alcohol or lacquer thinner, and paint with Stove Brite stove paint in a very well ventilated place. It will look good as new.

VC should still be making this stove and more like it.

I have to research how to restore these things but was thinking I'd start by pressure washing it, then spraying with oven cleaner and wire brushing it, pressure wash again then drying good, wiping down and painting or use a cast iron paste. Also need to cement top back on. Not sure if I should tear it down completely and soak all the parts in solvent. Researching for the next few days.

You are overthinking this. I would keep water away from it. There is no need and it may cause more rusting in grooves and crannies. Use a compressor with an air nozzle and wear a mask. Brush it down well and use steel wool on fussy areas. A final wipe down with alcohol etc. to remove oils is all the solvent needed.

Personally I don't like stove polish (paste). It dulls quickly and needs frequent reapplication. And once you have done it, it is no longer suitable for painting before laboriously removing the polish. Stove Brite metallic black is the most common stove paint color and a reliable product.

Last edited:
Sounds good! I hope it works out well for you, as I love the old-time Vermont Castings stoves.

In what year, would y'all say, this stove was manufactured?

Last edited:
thanks for the tips Begreen. There's a date code stamp on the back of 1212. Does anyone know how to read that? There's no way it was manufactured in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.