Please identify

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Received from a scrounge. No leaves. Thanks for replies.
Looks like ash with orange bark. Probably lighter in weight

Attachments

• mist wood.jpg
    mist wood.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Sassafras

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I was wondering sass too. Bark must be worn down. Thx.

Looks alot like pine to me. Any smell to it? Sassafrass and pine both have distinctive smells.

We have Tamarack in the northwest and it looks alot like that pic. It gets an orange color to some of the bark. Has needles. I took this picture a minute ago at my house.
IMG_0121.JPG

my first thought was pine. taste it and let us know!

I'm jumping on the pine band wagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Description of what we call tamarack in our area.

Western Larch
Unlike most conifers, the western larch loses its needles anually, bringing fall color to Idaho's evergreen forests. Also called the "tamarack," this species favors upper elevations with cool temperatures and moderate precipitation. Western larch's reddish-brown wood is tight-grained and very durable, making it ideal for plywood, flooring, and interior/exterior trim.