Please take this wood heat survey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked around the site and found some useful info on Gov's involvement in all this. But you really need a much wider scope of manufacturers. To not include Pacific Energy (and I don't own one), or other top players is something to look into.

You had a statement on one of the pages about how difficult it can be for good ideas from worthy manufacturers to break through because of the exorbitant cost of testing. Indeed. Hit that nail on the head and watch what American ingenuity can develop.

my thoughts would simply be to take some simple grammar training to at least word your sentences with some decent grammar. How in the world are you going to make a dent in Washington with portraying yourself so sloppy? As a side note, I do wonder how many in your "alliance" have actually heated with wood for long periods of time and are experienced in wood heating . . . . I know for me the longer I do it, the more it changes my thoughts on the "industry" and so on.

John Ackerly said:
Yes, the survey has some sloppy wording and we're talking a healthy amount of flack from both the pro and anti-wood burning camps on it. Also getting lots of good feedback. The survey doesn't have a specific purpose. We wanted to to reach people outside the wood burning community and make them think a bit more about the issues. Craig, I didn't realize I should check with you before posting a link like this, but will do so in future. And want to clear up any impression that Alliance for Green Heat has negative views and opinions about hearth.com. A researcher here wrote that Hearth.com is hard to navigate for purposes of stoves reviews and concluded another site was better.

Anyway, the Alliance for Green Heat was established to bring together the wood burning community, environmentalists, health professionals, foresters, and policy makers to promote cleaner and more efficient wood heat. We work at the federal, state and county level to push for more acceptance of biomass appliances in renewable energy programs. We worked with the non-profit energy efficiency groups in Washington to get biomass appliances in Home Star which will mean a $1,000 rebate on top of the 30% federal tax credit, if it gets passed. We also join in fights to restrict unregulated outdoor wood boilers. We're trying to make the case in Pennsylvania now, that in addition to only requiring Phase 2 OWBs, they should also give a tax credit for clean biomass appliances, instead of just giving tens of thousands to wealthy families that can afford solar panels. Right now in America, millions upon millions of our tax dollars are going to the wealthiest families to install solar panels while low income families that want to install ultra-clean biomass get next to nothing. We want to see a comeback of wood heat because we think its generally as climate neutral as other renewables, and its 10 times cheaper. We are a small non-profit trying to make a big dent in Washington. Its still an ongoing experiment.

Thanks for the explanation. I hope you guys take to heart the fact that the wording of your survey, etc., caused those of us actual wood-burners here to think you were anti-wood and do some serious rethinking of it, and maybe your whole approach. Surveys are incredibly difficult to do well, and the wording of questions more often than not determines the results, as political pollsters have learned all too well.

I'm sure we all like very much your push to get biomass stoves into the Home Star program and tax credits for clean-burning stoves and applaud your mission. Thanks for dropping by, and don't be strangers.

This is the beginning of the gov't understanding the wood burning society so they can devise a plan to either restrict it through taxing or eliminate it all together. Soon we'll have to pay tax on the wood sitting in your yard, being transported or pay a usage tax required to clean the air after our wood is burned. Where can I move?

gzecc said:
This is the beginning of the gov't understanding the wood burning society so they can devise a plan to either restrict it through taxing or eliminate it all together. Soon we'll have to pay tax on the wood sitting in your yard, being transported or pay a usage tax required to clean the air after our wood is burned. Where can I move?

LOL! If the Alliance for Green Heat at Antioch has become the government, we'll be in great shape!

Status
Not open for further replies.