Plumbing leak!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dr.Faustus

Minister of Fire
Hi all,

My brother has an older water softener that has developed a leak. I an having trouble finding the part. its the coupling for the softened water to exit to the house. its a 3/4" copper pipe. one side is sweat on the other side is a flattened flange type. I looked up copper flanges but im getting ones with screw holes. I forgot to take a picture today but i drew this crude diagram instead. I'm sure i just dont know the proper name for it, or maybe its made with a tool, i have no idea. If anyone can help i'd greatly appreciate it.

the softener side has a plastic pvc? male end. then there would be a rubber washer. then that copper flange mates up to it. then a female plastic pvc? screws it together.

Attachments

• plumbing.png
    plumbing.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 162
rats, im hoping its not proprietary. All the labels on the valve are long gone. the copper surface is in bad shape and i suspect thats why its leaking.

If i cant get a new one i'll have to get a new rubber washer and some silicone and hope for the best. unless I rig up something else to connect those 2 pieces

A pic would be good but I googled " water softener copper fitting" and there are quite a few hits that may be what you described.

Please post a picture. I am the purchasing manager for one of the larger water conditioner companies in the US and could probably answer your question.

What about cleaning up the copper surface with a flat file and steel wool? Your hardware store will have sheets of gasket material to make your own as well.