Plywood termal buffer tank?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,

I'm working with a remote lodge that wants to put in a Woodmaster Flex-fuel 60kW boiler - the model that can burn either pellets or cord-wood by just switching the grate. It runs at atmospheric pressure.

The lodge is only accessible by twin-otter or helicopter ... so the local Woodmaster Rep has been suggesting we build a thermal buffer tank on-site using an insulated plywood box, strengthened with a solid lumber frame & with an EPDM liner.

The other alternative would be to use 3 x 220 Gallon tanks, which should fit in the airplane & also in the basement space we have available.

Anyone had experience with such "on-site manufactured" buffer tanks? We are in northern Canada (NWT) - would any codes apply to these buffer tanks that would be hard to meet?

I have seen this done in remote homes that get water delivered by truck - one tank I saw was over 6 feet high and at least 10 feet x 10 feet - made with 2x10s & plywood.

Andrew

Last edited:
Tom In Maine - forum member on here - is the guy you want to talk to.

EDIT: And can't imagine any codes giving you problems. They were a non-factor for me.

A company in my area built dozens of lined, insulated plywood tanks. If you can build it in the corner of a basement you get that added structure to work from.

These were plywood with 2X4 on edge frame work. Similar to how you form plywood for a concrete pour, with 2X on edge.

Tom, mentioned above has nice knock down tanks that could easily be shipped and assembled on site. possibly less $$ than building your own custom tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.