Poison Ivy from wood pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that while everyone is diagnosing poison ivy/oak/sumac, it may be NONE of them.
It may be as simple as Contact Dermatitis from something else mixed in with those pellets
from Cheapo Depot. Who the hell knows what they put in those bags? I spend more for my
pellets from wood pellets.com but I'm still saving $$ by keeping the dinosaur product tank full.
American Bio-fuels makes sure their products are strictly regulated & made to a standard
- not to a price...

poisonivyguy said:
Two things immediately come to mind. 1) Somewhere in your walking travels you made direct contact with some form of this plant, i.e., forest floor, brushy area, side of a tree trunk. Hence poison ivy's active ingredient urushiol, is a resin, is being held responsible for causing the rash, that now remains still active on either your clothing/gloves/tools or shoes/soles that were first being worn by you or used at time contact exposure incident took place. Urushiol does NOT behave like an oil, actually is a RESIN that will remain lasting active on any firm surface until removed. Resins always last for several years (5-7) until either it is physically removed or washed off using a solvent, (think of it behaving and lasting like a painted surface, paint tends to lasts and lasts until it is removed). BTW if this is the modality of how you think and believe you made contact with this plant, be reminded, ALL surface areas that you touched afterwards of the date and time you made physical contact with this plant without having washed your hands afterwards once your exposure was made, also now remain as contaminated from exposure to poison ivy and they also require being cleaned. Think door handles, steering wheel, tools, radio knobs, light switches etc. 2) The other possible means of contact is that some of the pellets your presently using, PERHAPS, may unknowingly have been tainted with poison ivy wood at the time of their manufacturing process. This might explain give reason to your recent rash outbreak symptoms. HOWEVER, if that were the case, ( which I seriously doubt) it presents a host of much more serious profound complex health risks (personal death and manufacturer's liability), that presents itself not only to yourself, but to all those persons surrounding you who enter into or come into contact with the wood stove's heated space. As they all too next find themselves unwitting victims, by breathing in the contaminated heated air that either is being vented flows freely and remains located directly inside the room being heated. Just as soon as poison ivy is burned, the resin is vaporized and next carries with it all of its own ursuhiol toxicity, is when this plant poses itself as a VERY serious real health threat to all those coming into contact with this plant's smoke. Directly breathing in the smoke that come from burning poison ivy IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to your health. It has been known to kill those doing so. With this situation still in mind, bare in that other thing that comes to mind is that once the poison ivy laced smoke fills the air inside the room, not just your lungs remain susceptible to the rash, but now your entire body's whole outer surface next remains at risk of making contact with the toxic smoke vapors that are present, would then in turn give you one hell of a rash inside your eyes, nose, mouth, ears, etc. AND if this knowingly ever were to occur, immediate hospitalization with medical treatment is required. Although this situation is rare to occur, still it is not impossible, and if left untreated the perils that remain in the advent of it occurring, is when there have been known circumstantial reports made of people dying from complications that developed stemming from them breathing into their lungs toxic poison ivy smoke vapors. Since what occurs next in turn always follows, is the victims lungs blister and fill up with the lymph fluid that always remains present is being produced by the rash, causes the innocent victim to drowns within their own body fluids that are being produced. BTW, have you contacted the wood pellet manufacturer directly about this? I would. Hope this helps. "We're just itchin' to remove your poison ivy".

Did you type all of that in one breath?

Status
Not open for further replies.