Poplar split.....finally

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, don't make too much fun, but I got this 1/3 cord of Poplar (popple) split today.
It's been sitting, waiting for me since last fall.
I took down several of these to use as sleepers under the stacks last year, and this is what was left.
I had to do it... I don't like to waste.:cool:
We've burned some the last two years, perfect for the shoulder season.

Hoping it might be ready this fall, even though I don't really need it.
The first year we burned it, I left the bark on, seems to retain a chit load of water compared to Cherry bark. The next time I split it I removed the bark, it dried much better.

I picked up some poplar at a site last week along with some ash, maple, elm. I figured what the heck, it was there, 3ft from trailer, it will burn, fire starter , mix it in or what ever

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I took down a tulip poplar that was growing in my vegetable garden, courtesy of bird..At 15 years it was about nine inches in diameter and over 30 feet tall. It had turned my vegetable garden into a woods wildflower garden...lots of trillium, bloodroot, violet, dog-tooth violet, squirrel corn, Dutchman's breeches, merrybells, wild leek. Claytonia, wild clematis etc...not so many vegetables, since they essentially stopped growing when the tree leafed out. Though I hate cutting a healthy tree, especially one that is rare in my range, I have heard horror stories about them blowing over, about the honeydew they produce, and I was also concerned about my house (nearby) and my garden fence. I could just topple the tree inside the garden fence if I made it topple on the diagonal and cut it about four feet up the trunk, so down it came about three months ago. Since the rounds were pretty small I didn't split them - they are stacked, of course.

Are you telling me that they will not dry with the bark on? I have no trouble drying beech, hickory, maple and ironwood this size. Splitting that small stuff will be a pain.

Well, don't make too much fun, but I got this 1/3 cord of Poplar (popple) split today.
It's been sitting, waiting for me since last fall.
I took down several of these to use as sleepers under the stacks last year, and this is what was left.
I had to do it... I don't like to waste.:cool:

I split & stacked some cottonwood I scrounged.
Seems to be drying OK, with the bark on.
Sure a lot lighter weight in only 6 weeks. Might be dry enough for this shoulder season.

Are you telling me that they will not dry with the bark on? I have no trouble drying beech, hickory, maple and ironwood this size. Splitting that small stuff will be a pain.
Can't say if it will dry with the bark on or not but, if it's nine inches in diameter ,I split it at least once to help dry

I'm not a big fan of burning poplar, but I'd rather burn it than waste it. It's a quick drying wood, and does great for SS burning and mixed loads, if you are limited on softer woods (silver and red maples, firs, etc.) I use most of mine that I get anymore for board wood if it's a big tree. I'm glad to hear you got it split up and won't be wasting it though, Dave......now where in the heck are the pics?
You know the rules around here.....:mad: ;)

Jeez, had a brain fart and forgot the pic. My mind told me to add it, I thought I did, but then something happened between the thought and execution.>>
Ignore the busted taillight, some moron backed into something.>> Probably me.
0609131733.jpg

I took down a tulip poplar that was growing in my vegetable garden, courtesy of bird..At 15 years it was about nine inches in diameter and over 30 feet tall. It had turned my vegetable garden into a woods wildflower garden...lots of trillium, bloodroot, violet, dog-tooth violet, squirrel corn, Dutchman's breeches, merrybells, wild leek. Claytonia, wild clematis etc...not so many vegetables, since they essentially stopped growing when the tree leafed out. Though I hate cutting a healthy tree, especially one that is rare in my range, I have heard horror stories about them blowing over, about the honeydew they produce, and I was also concerned about my house (nearby) and my garden fence. I could just topple the tree inside the garden fence if I made it topple on the diagonal and cut it about four feet up the trunk, so down it came about three months ago. Since the rounds were pretty small I didn't split them - they are stacked, of course.

Are you telling me that they will not dry with the bark on?No I have no trouble drying beech, hickory, maple and ironwood this size. Splitting that small stuff will be a pain.
The stuff I took the bark off was a good size tree with a thick bark. The year before I had taken some from that same tree (left the bark on) the next year I took more from the same tree (took the bark off) it seasoned better without the bark.

Karma Scotty...I've been expecting it.:cool:
That actually wasn't quite 1/3 cord. The rest has yet to be c/s.>> It's a bit scattered, so I need to gather it and get it to the splitter.

Reactions: ScotO
OK, since there is a pic I guess it really did happen.
I have about 1/4 cord of it split and waiting for a summertime fire to roast some hoddogs.

Hard to say PD, usually by the time we get around to that we have already numbed our tatse buds!

Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO

Rideau, do not confuse the poplar that Dave has with your tulip poplar. They have practically nothing in common.

As for drying, I've never taken the trouble to remove bark nor will I. If it happens to fall off, that is okay but I won't go to any trouble and I've never had a problem drying wood. In fact, the last decent sized poplar we cut here was cut in the winter, split in March and dried completely in the shade. We burned it the following winter.

Ignore the busted taillight, some moron backed into something.>> Probably me.
I think U have one of those trailer dwelling gnomes , I got one around here busting out my tail lights.
I might start buying trailer lights in bulk ;lol

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.