pops auger fuse; american harvester 6041

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camo99

Dec 22, 2012
1st yr it ran ok, after cleaning, oiling, vacuuming around auger & rest of stove. This 2nd yr it ran for 2 hrs, pops fuse (error 5 message bad motor/ auger jam). after cleaning again. pops fuse, same error. Thinking it may be the motor, I replaced the old intermitten w/ new continuous duty motor, ran for 2 hrs. pops fuse, same error. After cleaning, now, both motors immediately pop the auger fuse. I did a direct no load test, the old intermitten runs ok, but the new continuous won't run.
Any suggestions, please?

First, make sure you have the correct fuse installed.

Then, make sure none of the wires have gotten pinched in the cleaning and reassembly process.
The new motor sounds like toast if it won't run direct wired. Are you sure the new one is the correct motor?

Also, if the new motor were shorted (and the cause of blown fuses) it would burn up when direct wired. From what you say, the fuse blows even with the new motor. It sounds more like the new motor is opened, not shorted, and wouldn't blow the fuse.

I am not familiar with your stove, but what you are describing sounds like the result of a misalignment. When the motor strains due to an auger misalignment it draws more current.

Thanks for the responses.

Each time, I replaced the same 1 amp time delay fuse. I checked the wires, they look ok.

Both motors out of the stove, the old mk int. motor is 0.4 amps, will run direct wired no load. The multi-products cont. motor is 0.5 amps, won't run direct wired no load, (trips the house breaker)!!

I drilled a hole in the shaft of the new motor for the hairpin. It didn't seem to affect the auger, after oiling the bushings, it spins freely.

An electrician friend, said to try a 2 or 3 amp straight fuse, for initial startup, then see what happens.

I'll keep you posted, thanks again.

The multi-products cont. motor is 0.5 amps, won't run direct wired no load, (trips the house breaker)!!
If you are saying that a 0.5A motor is tripping a 15A breaker, that motor has a shorted coil.

The multi-products cont. motor is 0.5 amps, won't run direct wired no load, (trips the house breaker)!!

That is a bit of significant data we didn't have. The motor is obviously shorted.

I finally got a new replacement motor for the 0.5a shorted motor.

Direct wired, no-load, the new 0.5a motor rotates ok. Also, the old original 0.4a motor rotates ok.

The new 0.5a motor connected to the stove, w/o auger hookup, does not rotate, just hums, using a 2a regular fuse.
The old 0.4a motor immediately blows the 2a fuse!

I can't get an electrician friend over to look at it, said it might be the circuit board.
I'm gonna purchase a volt-ohm meter 1st, and try to check a few things before buying a board.

Anything else I should look for? Thanks, for your help, heat seeker, and Harvey.

Status
Not open for further replies.