Porcelain tile floors - still need a hearth for wood burning firebox??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skyM

Nov 8, 2019
Please forgive me if this question has been asked before and I missed the answer.

If all of the room's flooring is porcelain tile (non-combustible material), does the wood burning manufactured firebox still need a dedicated hearth? I'm receiving conflicting information and can't seem to find any guidance in my state (NJ) or NFPA codes/standards.

Thank you in advance!!

If you know which stove you want, read the owner's/installation manual.
You will find what hearth protection that particular stove requires.

Some of the requirements are not for simple ember protection which is what a porcelain floor does.

Its what's directly below the tile that could be at risk, sometimes hard for people to grasp but true.

Reactions: skyM
Its what's under the tile that counts when making a decision. If its tile on cement slab then no hearth pad needed, if its tile over plywood then you will need to read the stoves clearances, some require ember protection only, others require a more egregious hearth to provide adequate protection.

Its what's under the tile that counts when making a decision. If its tile on cement slab then no hearth pad needed, if its tile over plywood then you will need to read the stoves clearances, some require ember protection only, others require a more egregious hearth to provide adequate protection.

Thank you. Below is a solid concrete slab separating the floors.

I know that the best answer would be from the inspector, but I'm trying to do some legwork first.

Thank you. Below is a solid concrete slab separating the floors.

I know that the best answer would be from the inspector, but I'm trying to do some legwork first.
If it is tile on concrete there is no need for anything

Below is a solid concrete slab separating the floors.

Sounds like a interesting place. Not many homes with concrete slab floors separating levels around me. Unless its a commercial building. Curious.

Sounds like a interesting place. Not many homes with concrete slab floors separating levels around me. Unless its a commercial building. Curious.
It's a condo. My unit is on the second floor. Got a prefab TEMCO that needs to be ripped out, so redoing the whole place.

• Haha