Portable Generator Conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Doesn't take much to make my day..

Today the conversion kit I ordered to add onto my gas generator arrived.

I am so relieved that it doesn't void the warranty from Briggs and S. (They were the ones who gave me the name of the company who sent the kit.)

Great company by the way. Gave me a 40% discount so kit ended up costing me 150.00.

Now if I can just get someone who knows how to do the switch I'll be set. I took kit to a retired friend of mine who was a mining engineer and he said he would take a look. He and I are both leery of messing with it if there are any questions about safety. He has lived through enough explosions to last him the rest of his life. :ahhh:
I, personally, do not want to experience any explosions bigger than fire crackers on my property. 8-/

Thanks to whoever suggested converting it on my other generator thread. I can't wait to drain the gas and store the whole thing in the back of my shed with a tank of propane near by. :coolsmile:

Retired Guy said:
Who did you get it from? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

I ordered it from: Carb. and Turbo Systems (952)445-3910. They are out of Minnesota or Wisconsin. Ask for NEIL.

Mine, when converted, will run on either gas or propane.

Good Luck

Up date on conversion.

Got my generator back today and will now run on propane (I will use small bbq tank) or gas.

I am delighted that I don't have to worry about stale gas, carb. goo or the need to run it on a monthly basis.

Running it is as simple as using our outdoor grill.

No gas fumes.

Almost makes me look forward to a power outage just to try it out.

Now I am ready for winter and whatever it brings our way. :coolsmile:

SO you must have used the kit that places a little machined piece of metal against the carb and injects propane into the airstream. This is a cool and non-destructive modification that can be reversed. My one question, since you added this metal adapter it moved your air cleaner assembly away from the carb. Does the air cleaner now stick way out? Is it still braced and does the crankcase vent still attach?

150$ isn't much money.

Oh, you might want to get a bigger propane tank. That 5 gallon BBQ tank won't last but half a day. Figure that a large tank is heavy to move but the gas won't go stale.

Oh and you still need to run your genset on occasion. This isn't just to keep the gasoline fresh, it is also to burn off the water buildup from the generator head and also the engine oil. Keeps the engine internals oiled.

Highbeam said:
My one question, since you added this metal adapter it moved your air cleaner assembly away from the carb. Does the air cleaner now stick way out? Is it still braced and does the crankcase vent still attach?

Air cleaner is still basically where it was. (<1/2" difference.) A little tight to remove to clean but nothing sticks out at all. Everything is as it was. New low pressure regulator sits below the air filter on a little shelf he made. Very nifty and creative. Compact so nothing gets knocked off.

The kit ended up being about 190.00 and labor came in around 200.00. More than I had expected but I am happy.

Got a bigger tank today at Ace. Paid extra for a gauge. Don't want to run out with a load running.

Sounds cool. For what you spent (which I don't think is horrendous), you can wave that trouble away !!

I must look into this, but first, I need a generator :)

Status
Not open for further replies.