Possible Bur Oak Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
The other day I was out walking the dog and heard that beautiful sound of a chain saw so I followed it to the neighbors house about a block away. He was having a huge Bur Oak removed that was in the way of his remodeling project. I asked what he was going to do with the wood and he said he would like to keep the smaller stuff and I could have the big stuff. Yes!!! I went back over today and the tree service had it all bucked into 16" rounds and piled in a clearing. Looks like maybe 2 cords. Only problem is he mentioned his son inlaw might want some so he's going to get back to me. I told him I'd split up what he wanted and haul away the rest. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Nice find!

BTW, try to get it out of there as quickly as possible. It doesn't take long before others start asking about it (diluting your take) or he decides it has 'value'. ;)

tis' a shame to use as fire wood... but it's already bucked up. Are there no sawyers in your area?
dunno about you but this looks better than my woodstove.............. IN ANY ROOM. go figure. That tree would probably pay a few years oil/propane/gas/wood/and then some etc... oh but heata is heata...stugots

Attachments

• Possible Bur Oak Score
    burr_oak.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 324
  • Possible Bur Oak Score
    kneehole-desk.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 304
Wow, that is awsome! There are plenty of Amish folks around here that build Oak and Maple furniture.

I was in the same situation as you 2 years ago. My neighbor had 5 huge red oaks taken down. I asked him if he was keeping it and he was not sure. So I offered him my splitter to use anyway. Next time we spoke, he said his son was going to burn it. Next time, last fall, he said I may be able to take some. I bet this spring he will be begging me to get it out of the way.

Good luck.

I agree it is beautiful wood. The problem now is the market has dropped so badly. Still, if the Amish did their own sawing....

Status
Not open for further replies.