Possible CS-590

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bdiaz

Jan 26, 2009
Colorado
Im about to give up on my Stihl 290 after several years of use. It just seems like i have been fixing it piece by piece.

I am eyeballing the Echo CS590. On the Home Depot site it says that it is 78 drive links. Does this sound right? I am wanting something I can get chains for without hassle. We have two local Stihl shops. Do I need to get a different bar to use Stihl chains?

I think mine came with a 20” bar at 70 drive links. That could be incorrect but it is what I remember. Either way, any power equipment store should have a chain that will fit it. I have both a 20” and 24” bar for it and my power equipment store has chain options for both.

Great saw at a great price. It is high on my list over many of my other saws.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Thanks. I’m hoping that’s the case. Home Depot site says 78. Weird. Also, I think I might add the three year warranty on top of the 5 year manufacture.

I think mine came with a 20” bar at 70 drive links. That could be incorrect but it is what I remember. Either way, any power equipment store should have a chain that will fit it. I have both a 20” and 24” bar for it and my power equipment store has chain options for both.

Great saw at a great price. It is high on my list over many of my other saws.

Your drive links are going to be dependent on your chain size. .325” or 3/8” are different number of drive links, also different saw manufacturers use different numbers of links based on bar size. Large mount & small mount have different number of drive links also. I’m a brand whore when it comes to saws so I don’t know much about the other brands, my Dolmar 5105 was the first non Stihl I have ever bought. I am branching out on the chains though trying Carlton, Archer & Oregon but I digress back to drive links & bars:
My 3/8” Stihls are :
16” - 60dl
18” - 66dl ; Huskies are 68dl I believe
25” - 84dl
28” - 91dl ; Huskies are 92dl I believe
36” - 114dl. ; Huskies are 115dl I believe

My .325” Stihls were:
16” - 67dl
18” - 74dl

My Dolmar is :

20” - 3/8” - 72dl

I know that I can’t swap my Stihl & Dolmar bars.
Sometimes you can open up the tensioner hole or get an adapter to make different manufacturers bars fit a different brand of saw. You also always want to ensure that the Oiler holes line up. You want to make sure & check tail clearance to the drive sprocket. There are others on here far more knowledgeable than I am. Maybe they will chime in.

You can also check out these 2 sites for chains
Oregon chain: https://loggerchain.net/

Carlton 3/8” chain //www.harvesterbars.com/collections/carlton-chainsaw-chain

Last edited:
Echo and Stihl bars will not swap. Echo and Husky will. The CS 590 has the mid-size husky mount and comes 3/8th pitch. The bar will be stamped with DL number.

I ran Stihl chains on everything, even before I ran all Stihl saws. Just have to get the correct DL number. May have to order on line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JimBear
Home Depot description of 78 DL on its webpage incorrect.

Thank you for the replies. I bought one last week and cut two cords this week. I really like it. I feel very confident in the $360 I paid and overall it seems like a good purchase.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat