Possible New England Peak Power day on Wednesday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Most indications are that tomorrow between 4 PM and 6PM may set the peak power demand for New England.

This link is usually the best resource to watch https://www.iso-ne.com/isoexpress/

Usually, ISO New England pulls it off unless a big generator or transmission line goes down.

• Wow
Reactions: vinny11950
Well after 10 years of traveling to Maine to visit the in-laws I finally plugged and put an air conditioned into the second story bedroom. I’m done pretending it’s not that bad. A bedroom at 89 degrees when it’s 95 out it too hot for me. All 7 of will find a way to sleep in here tonight and probably tomorrow. Heat index said 109 when I looked at 4.

It’s the only ac in the house right now.
I did my part to break the record. I’ll sleep better tonight for it.

Evan.

Reactions: vinny11950
$764 a MW during the peak hour. It does look like the peak demand was a bit lower than expected but still a lot power.

Reactions: EbS-P
Looks like another possible peak power day tomorrow in New England. In NH the winter rate period has begun August 1st so the standard power supply rates are in many cases more than double what they were in July. Price of power around 6PM today is $340 per MW, i expect it will be higher tomorrow at this time.

Last edited:
August 1st? What exactly do they consider summer?

The warmest two weeks. New Hampshire, after all.

;-)

Reactions: begreen
My guess is the utility wants to build up a big fund to pay for power in the winter so they do not need to borrow money. Generally the hottest days of the year lag the solstice by 6 weeks so we are getting to that point (I need to think about changing the angles on my solar panels). The hours of sunlight are starting to get shorter by 2 1/2 minutes. By the end of the month days are noticeably cooler (and shorter).

Reactions: EbS-P
Yes, I am seeing a big difference in sunlight hours on the garden due to shading with the lower arc of the sun. Solar generation hours also are shrinking. Daylight hours are 1hr15m less than on the solstice.

Reactions: Highbeam