Possible to move PE Vista out onto the hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Buddy of mine has a PE Vista insert and is trying to get more heat into the house. Is it possible to move the insert out onto the hearth a little?

I would tell him to check the fan but if he still needs more heat then its time to upgrade.

It could be he is using wet wood. Many do not believe they are and it takes "proof". Having a fire going does not mean dry wood. Does he have a thermometer and if so whats his operating temp? Does he have a block off plate? Does he have good draft?

.even if he did move it out, the increase in radiant heat off the unit should be negligable: the insert shroud will still pretty much force all the heat forwards

KB007 said:
Buddy of mine has a PE Vista insert and is trying to get more heat into the house. Is it possible to move the insert out onto the hearth a little?

It is a small stove. You are only going to get so much heat from it. How big of an area is he trying to heat?

Fan works fine. No he doesn't have a thermometer, told him many times he should get one - stubborn.... Has good draft, dunno about block off plate, haven't taken the surround off yet. Ultimately he's trying to heat his LR, DR and kitchen in a split level house, and hoping for some hot air to get up to the bedrooms. I think he's outta luck really, don't think he gets a big/hot enough fire in there to do too much heating.

i have a big firepalce and the summits shroud was a close call at 48 inches... having said tht, with all i have learned here, by me taking off the shroud i got much better heat coming off the stove... I do have a block off plate and decent draft... however, when you get that stove cranking and blow air across it it lowers the stove top temp and with a summit the blower is on the side which isnt really pulling air from all the way around it..... therefore you have a massive amount of heat going into your fireplace brick. when my stove is at 750 and the fan is on med to low you have a hard time keeping your hand on the shroud its so hot... so imagine the heat loss from the back! what i did was take the shroud off and the plate /lip that is on top of the summit.. put a fan far/close enough so that a gentle breeze hits the front of the stove and the stove fan is on med to low.... now is the stove putting out more btus- no but i am cutting back on my heat loss, - but when the stove is in a warm "pocket" it prolly stays warmer longer - my way when i come home everyday there is just enough left to get it started again....-- but my house warms up faster and when its really cold it doesnt struggle as much

Status
Not open for further replies.